PDA

View Full Version : Another Variation Question

kimnolan87
31-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Hiya,

I know there's lots of variation questions out there at the mo but I am very confused!!

OK - at the moment, I have five children; twins who are 4 and attend full time school nursery, their older brother who is 5, a 14 month old and a 10 month old. Now I have phoned Ofsted and they state that because the twins are in nursery and not reception, they CANNOT be classed as rising 5.

A lady from the local early years team came out to see me yesterday, and she said that the twins CAN be classed as rising 5, as it is a SCHOOL nursery and they are attending full time. She claimed that Ofsted don't realise that the majority, if not all of our local schools, have nurseries attached to them and children attend full time. She also said that the EYFS does not state reception / nursery - just full time education - which it is.

So, what would you do?

The biggest reason I ask, is because on a Thursday afternoon, I have the two little ones and then go to do the school run - but once I pick the school children up, I have 4 under 5 - if the twins CANNOT be classed as rising 5. And I have Ofsted coming out soon, so wanted to have everything sorted, RA etc before they come!

Please help!

Thanks,

Kim x

AliceK
31-10-2012, 10:08 AM
As far as I am aware nursery whether a school nursery or not does not count as a R5 child so I believe the twins would still come in your EYFS numbers until they move into reception class.

xxx

FussyElmo
31-10-2012, 10:19 AM
now ofsted told me and changed my certificate that my ds/dd could be counted as a rising 5 and in school nursery not reception :thumbsup::thumbsup:

only if the children attend full time in a school nursery. around here it's the same at all schools and nursery is the same as reception. I would ring back up and query it :thumbsup:

bunyip
31-10-2012, 11:08 AM
EYFS Statutory Framework 3.40 refers to children attending before/after "...a normal school day...". So perhaps that's why Ofsted areinterprting it to mean school rather than nursery sessions? :huh:

jillplum
31-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I take rising five to mean the child will have it's 5th birthday before the end on the current school year. Ie 31st august 2013 in England.

dawn100
31-10-2012, 02:47 PM
I was informed by ofsted that you could only count a child as a school aged child once they are in full time school and not nursery. Personally I would go with what ofsted has told you and not the early years team (although reading the eyfs i do see what she is saying) as it will ofsted who inspects you and makes judgements on if u r following the EYFS correctly. So I would do your RA to be on the safe side. It might be worth ringing ofsted back with the EYFS in front of you at 3.39, 3.40 and get them to clarify it and if the do say they can count as an older child due to being in full time education, log the call with date, time and persons name so if it does get brought up at an inspection u can show it.

sarah707
31-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Your local early years advisor is wrong I am afraid.

The definition of a school day is determined by the department for education - you can find more information in this document -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Childminder%20variations%20from%2009.2012.pdf

Hth :D

kimnolan87
01-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Thankyou for the advice.

I am still puzzled over this and guess I do need to speak to Ofsted again.

Reading that document (a few times) Sarah, it states that a school day is two sessions with a break in the middle. The twins do that! They attend 9-3 with lunch at 12-1.

I am just confused!!!!

Kim xxx

blue bear
01-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Thankyou for the advice.

I am still puzzled over this and guess I do need to speak to Ofsted again.

Reading that document (a few times) Sarah, it states that a school day is two sessions with a break in the middle. The twins do that! They attend 9-3 with lunch at 12-1.

I am just confused!!!!

Kim xxx

But it states a childminder can adjust numbers once the chikd starts school. Yours clearly are not at school they are at nursery so IMO cannot be classed as rising fives. How long have you had the other children? Did they start before the twins went to school?could this be classed as continuation of care?