PDA

View Full Version : Persistent head lice problem

Fun Mum
30-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Where do I start? I look after 3 children from the same family who have had head lice on and off for the last 6 months or so. It's never been longer than 3 or 4 weeks before I have to mention to their parents to de-Lice their hair again. Today, I saw live lice crawling on top of minders hair (again) and I asked her mum to check hair again. Just had a text from her mum to say no sign of head lice - just dry scalp and that she feels I am singling her daughter out. Not being funny but I have kids of my own and have spent a small fortune on treatments and many an evening sitting on the end of the bed with a nit comb.

Has anyone else had any similar issues? Any advise great fully appreciated.

AliceK
31-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Depending on how I felt mum was dealing with this (or not) depends on what I would do. If I felt mum wasn't taking it seriously and wasn't treating it then I will exclude but as long as treatment is being done I wont. Mum needs to understand that when she treats 1 child she needs to treat all her children at the same time otherwise it's a waste of time. Also some treatments require a 2nd dose to be given. It could also be that if she is treating correctly that the lice may have become immune to the stuff she is using. If you feel she is taking it seriously then I would try to help and give advice to her, maybe she could use Tea Tree oil as a regular preventative treatment on all the children (I believe this works and use it myself, others don't believe it).
If I see a live head lice on a child I will text the parent and tell them what I've seen and ask them to treat their child that evening.
What is your gut feeling on this and the way mum is dealing with it?

xxx

gegele
31-10-2012, 08:36 AM
I have a policy in place as I HATE friendly friends (itch... itch). I have children and I know that it happens BUT I truly believe that if you try hard enough you can get rid of it in no time.

She neeeds to wash her beddings and soft furnishing as well as treating her kids. Put treatment on, nit comb and in the evening she should remove eggs by hands...!!
advise as well to use tea tree shampoo and or conditioner.

If it was me this is what I would do:
I would explain that I understand that every child catch them BUT there are good prevention system to use. I would say we have to get rid of it once and for all and then work on prevention TOGETHER. I would SHOW HER what to look for and I probably would offer to start treatment if she provides it because I wouldn't want them in my home. then I 'd tell mum that she needs to clean all house soft funishing and bedding and car seats, treat herself and hubby.
I would say to mum That I'm ONLY doing it as a last result because it's not nice for children to be the nits kids, it's not comfortable for them either AND that every times I have to clear my whole house and children have to be treated, so are other children and it's unfair and costly for all families. So she needs to get on top of it or I would exclude children everytimes or terminate contract if she doesn't work with me in partnership for the well being of ALL children. CUE THE EYE BROW AND STARE so she knows I mean business!!

a drop of tea tree oil behind ears and nap of neck works well as well. she should invest in electric comb and use it regularly. loads to do for prevention.

Fun Mum
31-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks so much for your posts. Since last night the Dad has told me that he combed the childs hair and it was just "fluff and dry skin". I persisted and stood my ground and explained that this cannot continue and he needs to treat the whole family. I explained (politely but firmly) that it is affecting my children and other mindees have now caught them and please to sort the problem. I still don't feel like I am being taken seriously though and fobbed off. Its a family who I actually get on really well with and up until now have been on the same wavelength.

In the past I have printed off information sheets, suggested treatments, explained combing through hair every 2 to 3 days and picking out the eggs but if they are in denial about the whole issue and insist its FLUFF! am I fighting a loosing battle?

I think I'll persist for a day or so and if a problem come Monday morning, mention to the parents that if I find any live lice, then I will call them to collect and only take them back until fully treated. I don't want to be so harsh as its not in my nature but I don't want to be a walk-over.

k1rstie
31-10-2012, 02:10 PM
If they really do not know what they look like, why not catch one on a bit of sticky tape to show them.

Our local school nursery had a fresh one caught on a bit of tape, stick to a bit of white paper. it was surprising the number of the mums who had a look, cause they had not seen one before !!!!!

I always think their scalps look like they have been playing in the sandpit and woodchip!!!!

good luck

kirstie