PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

stargazer1
30-10-2012, 04:21 PM
My car insurance is due for renewal. When I registered back in May I phoned my insurance company and changed my use from social to business. I have been on the comparison sites and its confused me slightly! (doesn't take much :blush:)

The options are social only, social and commuting or business. Well I use it for social and business as we obviously only have one car. I need the business use as I use the car with the mindees, but if I choose business does it only cover me for business? What happens if I have a crash when I am not working? Am I still covered under business use?

Sorry for my dumbness people but I don't want to choose the wrong one xx

christine e
30-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Think this is an error - the options are usually

Social, domestic and pleasure and travelling to and from a fixed place of work

Business use plus social domestic and pleasure

sarah707
30-10-2012, 06:34 PM
You need business class 1 - I believe Morton Michel or Sheila's wheels normally offer competitive quotes.

You are unlikely to get anything from the comparison sites you'll need to ring :D

rickysmiths
30-10-2012, 11:58 PM
I was with MM and their quote for renewal this year was off the scale and they wouldn't negotiate, I hadn't had an accident or changed the car or my address !! I am with Tesco this year they were nearly £100 less than MM!

It's all a bit of a game isn't it. MM may be cheaper next year again :rolleyes:

Footprints
31-10-2012, 04:12 AM
I get mine through go compare mine is for social and bussiness use class 1

stargazer1
31-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Our cheapest quote from the go compare came in at under £200 for business use with Hastings Direct. When I tried Sheilas Wheels they were £700. Waiting back for a quote from MM. I phoned Hastings Direct last night and he said business use would cover it all but I dont trust what he says. Can I phone back and ask for a quote for business class 1 or business an social? Do all companies cover both? Makes we worry a bit that for the last 6 months Ive only had business cover!! :panic: I was sure that when I did the ICP out trainer said we just needed to switch it to business use if we were going to use our cae for work.

blue bear
31-10-2012, 07:34 AM
I was with mm this year they wanted £524, gone with quote me happy via go compare for £220

stargazer1
31-10-2012, 07:36 AM
I was with mm this year they wanted £524, gone with quote me happy via go compare for £220

Did go compare do you a quote for business and social use together blue bear?

Joda
31-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Mine is due for renewal next week - I have been with MM but the quote they have given me is really expensive! They keep phoning me up asking what other quotes I have received and that they will try and match it - the other quotes I've looked at are a lot less even with 'higher car plus' which I wasn't even getting with MM. I'm reluctant to go with MM again if they'll only lower the quote to match another company tbh.

Its very confusing - I'm going to get DH to help me tomorrow when he's off work.

tulip0803
31-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm with Swiftcover and have business insurance - on my certificate it says:

a. Use for social domestic and pleasure purposes
b. Use by the policyholder or policyholder's spouse each in person in connection with the businesses of the policyholder or their spouse

So it covers me for social, domestic and business. And they cover childminders - I checked.

blue bear
01-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Did go compare do you a quote for business and social use together blue bear?

Yes sdpc and business use
, dh sorted it

stargazer1
01-11-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm with Swift Cover at the moment Tulip, have been for four years, but their renewal price this year is a joke.

Phoned Hastings Direct yesterday (as they were cheapest on comparison sites for us) and they gave me a quote for business class 1, so covers business miles and social use, and its still under £200. Happy days!!!!

Thank you all xxx

Jenna
02-11-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm with the AA and they we're fab my renewal was cheaper this year than ever and they threw in breakdown cover which is a great bonus