PDA

View Full Version : after schoolers

mammumof4
30-10-2012, 09:28 AM
i need ideas for 5 very active, easily bored children who are 11, 10, 9, 8 and 6.
yestersay was the first day, we went on the park for a bit after school, came back had tea, tidied up, they all went
outside on the trampoline for a bit then the girls made a haloween picture (reluctently) and the boys played a game on the laptop
time went fast, they go home at 6. but i did have a few moments of them hanging around looking bored :/
i asked them to fill an about me sheet in but all they wrote was, trampoline and xbox. they say they dont like board games, cooking, crafts (all the things i would normally do!!)
i also have 18 and 15 month old who are easily pleased :)

mushpea
30-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I would explain that you dont have xbox etc and so you need some other ideas of what they like to do, if they come up with some then great , prehaps you can give them a craft book or argos book to look through for ideas, if they dont give you any ideas then I would leave them to it and carry on with the littlies as normal, for example after school I have a 15month old and 3.5yrold 5yold and 8yrold , first few days the schoolies looked bored and fed up but with the younger ones I carried on doing my normal activites, ie snack, then drawing or painting etc and eventualy they started to either join in with us or choosing games to play.
I have given older ones a load of blankets and clothes airers before to make dens , ususaly though the older ones , once they settle in, just play together. I certainly wouldnt ask them to do an activity if they didnt want to, I would invite them to join in but if they said no I would carry on with those who did and the others just have to get on with it.

JCrakers
30-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Tonight I pick up 5 boys and a 2 girls from school. One girl plays with 3yr old mindee and the other is easily pleased with either joining in or with some pens and sheets of paper :D

The thevboys however are hard work aged between 7-9. With no park now its muddy we have started coming in at 345 and they usually go between 530-6pm.
When the weather was warmer and drier we called at the park on the way home and got in at 415ish, tea, wii and play

I do allow the wii after tea as this is what they all enjoy and I don't see a problem with it after they have been at school all day. So 430-445ish they have half an hour of that.

I recently gave them a notebook for them to jot down any toys they would like now the park is out of bounds and they came up with a list of things I'm going to look at buying.

I do find that my boys don't want to do crafts or anything that involves concentrating like a board game because they've been at school all day and just want to relax. So that's what they do really And if they want to watch some tv or a DVD then that's fine with me and the parents :D