PDA

View Full Version : fire resistant doors?

Blackhorse
20-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I read somewhere in the tons of info I have re the registration that doors need to be able to withstand a fire for 20 mins...
I am sure the ones we have in the house wouldn't last that long and the only way I can think of finding out is rather dangerous :laughing:
did any of you have to get the doors replaced? that would be quite expensive...

or did I just get mixed up with all the paperwork???

Thanks

ruby
20-06-2008, 12:00 PM
sorry have never heard of this my doors are just ordinary ones but would be interested to find out.

maybe someone else will come along and be able to help to help us

cathy

Mrs.L.C
20-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I have never had Ofsted say anything or the local fire officer. We have the hollow wood type doors which wouldnt last 20 mins either so I wouldn worry too much. If Osted are concerned they will mention it on the pre reg visit

Heaven Scent
20-06-2008, 12:06 PM
When I had the firemen around they said that all my cheap regular door were ample to stop fire spreading for up to an hour. So I don't think you need to worry. Get the firemen around if you have any worries they don't charge.

Blackhorse
20-06-2008, 12:13 PM
hihi...free fireman...

thanks for the tip!!

sarah707
20-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I have to have fire resistant doors because I have a 3rd storey - it's part of the regulations.

Maybe you read that?? :D

Blackhorse
20-06-2008, 12:18 PM
that could be..there is soo much info..
we live in a two storey terraced house..hope my doors will be ok but will follow Super Stars advice to get the firemen to have a look. once I have done my fire risk assesment ...in case there are other issues

FizzysFriends
20-06-2008, 12:45 PM
you have to have one of a garage door if it does into the house.

flora
20-06-2008, 03:38 PM
If you have a three storey house like sarah all doors have to be half hour fire check doors. This makes them conform to mod building regs.

If you have a normal two storey house ordinary doors are fine:)

I've never heard them lasting an hour though ??? If that was true they wouldn't make you have extra thick and flipping expensive fire check doors would they??:D

singlewiththree
18-07-2008, 09:45 PM
I have a fire resistant door from my garage to my hallway as apparently that is now legislation with newly built houses or extensions as mine was. Perhaps thats where it came from.

Blackhorse
08-09-2008, 12:46 PM
thanks for the info Redcall

Pauline
08-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Years ago in the dark ages of childminding :rolleyes: you had to have 3" thick fire resistant doors on all doors that led on to the stairs at ground level if you wanted to sleep a child upstairs, even though we had been sleeping them upstairs prior to that new ruling.

Now, hey presto, we can sleep children upstairs and Ofsted have no rulings - how times change on a whim! :rolleyes: