PDA

View Full Version : blooming nurseys

jubeedo
27-10-2012, 11:07 AM
just lost possible customer due to nursey doing a deal for all 3 children. i know its up to the parent and all but how do i compete. i thought most nurseries closed during half terms ,how can they call them self a nursey them offer care for 8 and 10 year old :( its so unfair and im sulking now. i had loads of activities sorted for the week. swimming ,football match etc oh well carry on advertising .

Pixie dust
27-10-2012, 11:12 AM
A nursery near me has an afterschool club and staff go and collect children from all the local schools then they also run a holiday club. It is quite expensive though.

jubeedo
27-10-2012, 11:36 AM
A nursery near me has an afterschool club and staff go and collect children from all the local schools then they also run a holiday club. It is quite expensive though.

the hol clubs are usually expensive but why under cut a childminder at £3.50 per hour am i charging too much ?

gegele
27-10-2012, 12:07 PM
the hol clubs are usually expensive but why under cut a childminder at £3.50 per hour am i charging too much ?

they can discount on over 8 and over 5 because they can have staff... we're stuck with our numbers limitation and the fact that there's only 1 of us to cater for alll ages. You cannot compete on all levels with a nursery/ after school....

our forte as minder are the under 5, especially under 3, that's where our service differ highly in quality with a nursery and we have the better quality. But with older children you can't argue that we can't provide football game, basket ball... with our 6 kids baby and toddler being the majority like they can in after holiday clubs with big group of older children. Having big kids means the ratio is bigger so their price smaller!

LauraS
27-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Yup, holiday clubs here are about £85 to £100 for a 50 hour week. A long long time ago I worked in one, the staff ratios were minimal, the activities were free/cheap.or paid for by parents, trips out were minimal (ie once a week, so all summer spent in one stuffy room) and food was all smartprice stuff and heavily rationed.

You can't compete.

sharonmanc
27-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Parent has obviously gone for price, not quality, someone else will be along shortly who wants good quality care :thumbsup:

cathtee
28-10-2012, 05:11 PM
I've just lost 2 to after school club, mum said on last day thanks for R's care over the last 3 years, (A had only been with nme for 6 weeks
sibling started school previously at day nursery,) "they may be back"............................. WHAT A CHEEK either stay with me or go
somewhere else don't mess me around!!!!!!!!

If she does approach me in the future it will be higher fees than she had before:D

k1rstie
28-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Our local after school / holiday club runs from 8 till 6 in the holidays.

We win, because we can start a bit earlier - even 7.75 can be better for parents, and be open till 6.15 - this again helps parents.

sometimes we have to try to out smart these clubs registrations, and offer a bit more.

kirstie

LauraS
28-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Our local after school / holiday club runs from 8 till 6 in the holidays.

We win, because we can start a bit earlier - even 7.75 can be better for parents, and be open till 6.15 - this again helps parents.

sometimes we have to try to out smart these clubs registrations, and offer a bit more.

kirstie

I agree with this too. There will always be parents needing slightly different hours, I used to be one of them.