PDA

View Full Version : 'safe house' childminding

juelmer
25-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi,

I have done a search regarding this but I can't find any information and now I'm starting to think that I have made this term up :blush:

I remember a fellow childminder saying on a course that she is going to offer a 'safe house' option for school children to come to her after school. Obviously they will be old enough to walk from the school to her house or vice versa in the morning but does anyone offer this or have even heard of this option? I look after a boy who will be 9 in November and the walk is less than 10mins along a quiet 'ish' road (not many cars and other parents are on the school run) and one road crossing which has a pedestrian crossing. He has road sense and walks ahead of us anyway (I may as well not be there??).

I'm looking to end my school run at the end of December and wondered about offering this to the parent as an option but I'm not sure about the age limits or if this is a reasonable request.

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

caz3007
25-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I have had children who have arrived independently but there have always been more than 2 and have been closer to 11 and in their last year at primary. As a parent of a nearly 10 year old who only has to walk through quiet roads, I still wouldnt be happy for him to walk home on his own yet. So I suppose its up the parent.

I collected until the parents were ready for independant arrival and had a policy in place for this.

Mouse
25-10-2012, 02:52 PM
There is the independent arrival option.

Perhaps search that & you'll find some info :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
25-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I have done a search regarding this but I can't find any information and now I'm starting to think that I have made this term up :blush:

I remember a fellow childminder saying on a course that she is going to offer a 'safe house' option for school children to come to her after school. Obviously they will be old enough to walk from the school to her house or vice versa in the morning but does anyone offer this or have even heard of this option? I look after a boy who will be 9 in November and the walk is less than 10mins along a quiet 'ish' road (not many cars and other parents are on the school run) and one road crossing which has a pedestrian crossing. He has road sense and walks ahead of us anyway (I may as well not be there??).

I'm looking to end my school run at the end of December and wondered about offering this to the parent as an option but I'm not sure about the age limits or if this is a reasonable request.

Any feedback would be appreciated :)

there are places that are now designated 'places of safety' around towns/villages for children to go if they are feeling unsafe. These places will allow children to enter, phone home/parent/carer if they need to, chill out and calm down - basically a 'safe haven', if they are being bulled, followed, scared, taunted, jostled, frightened, lost. Most places you need to be (council)vetted and designated. They are often places like leisure centres, shops, library - anywhere can be one just it needs to be official.

What you are talking about offering though is independent arrivals.

juelmer
25-10-2012, 03:54 PM
there are places that are now designated 'places of safety' around towns/villages for children to go if they are feeling unsafe. These places will allow children to enter, phone home/parent/carer if they need to, chill out and calm down - basically a 'safe haven', if they are being bulled, followed, scared, taunted, jostled, frightened, lost. Most places you need to be (council)vetted and designated. They are often places like leisure centres, shops, library - anywhere can be one just it needs to be official.

What you are talking about offering though is independent arrivals.

Thank you for the explanation. Looks like I have the two mixed up and what I will be offering is the independent arrivals.

lilac_dragon
25-10-2012, 09:51 PM
juelmer has the right gist, but I don't know the format now, hadn't even realised it was still done.
I was asked by Social Services when I first registered in the '80s to offer a safe house for any child feeling threatened or afraid to be able to come and phone for help from my house. If I felt that the situation was possibly dangerous I was under instruction to phone the SS and or Police on the child's behalf.

caz3007
26-10-2012, 08:24 AM
juelmer has the right gist, but I don't know the format now, hadn't even realised it was still done.
I was asked by Social Services when I first registered in the '80s to offer a safe house for any child feeling threatened or afraid to be able to come and phone for help from my house. If I felt that the situation was possibly dangerous I was under instruction to phone the SS and or Police on the child's behalf.

I think this has been talked about from time to time and mentioned in the media, usually when a child goes missing, but never seen it go any further and I would be happy to participate as obviously CM's are the ideal choice for this

louise
26-10-2012, 08:36 AM
In Sussex it was called the Safety house project and that was my first thought when I saw the thread. My Mum helped support a lady to try and set it up round here but they struggled. It is a good idea but they came across difficulties to set it up.