PDA

View Full Version : Baby dies at nursery

desiderata
24-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Baby Girl 'Chokes To Death' At Ramillies Hall School, Cheadle Hulme

A nine-month-old girl has died after reportedly choking on food at a nursery.

The youngster was taken to hospital from Ramillies Hall School in Cheadle Hulme, Greater Manchester, on Tuesday lunchtime but died a short time later.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: "Police were called to an address on Ramillies Avenue, Cheadle Hulme shortly after 12.20pm on Tuesday by the North West Ambulance Service following reports a child was choking.

"Officers attended and discovered a nine-month old baby had been taken to hospital but was sadly pronounced dead a short time later.

"Inquiries are continuing to establish the cause of death."

Contribute to this Story:
Send us a tip
Send us a photo or video
Suggest a correction

FOLLOW UK

Get Alerts

cathtee
24-10-2012, 04:13 PM
This is so sad, my heart goes out to the parents.

My biggest fear is choking I always tell parents that i won't give lo's apple or grapes until they have back teeth as i had lo start to choke
on apple and he had back teeth:panic:

AliceK
24-10-2012, 04:24 PM
It's so awful, poor family.

CathTee, I am really paranoid about grapes and I still cut them in half for my DS (he's 8). For the LO's I quarter them. I'm pretty relaxed about everything else and have had to deal with a choking child but grapes are a whole different story. It's so hard to dislodge a grape :(

xxx

blue bear
24-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Bless that little angel.

BuggsieMoo
24-10-2012, 05:28 PM
It's so awful, poor family.

CathTee, I am really paranoid about grapes and I still cut them in half for my DS (he's 8). For the LO's I quarter them. I'm pretty relaxed about everything else and have had to deal with a choking child but grapes are a whole different story. It's so hard to dislodge a grape :(

xxx

I use the little net bag thingy for the kids who dont have all their teeth. They can only mush it through the net.

My heart goes out to the poor family - this has got to be one of my worst nightmares togetherwith cot death. x

Pipsqueak
24-10-2012, 07:34 PM
how very very sad.
my thoughts are with the family

Jo Jo
24-10-2012, 08:05 PM
How very sad my thoughts are also with the family

Bear23
24-10-2012, 08:07 PM
terrible x how awful for the family x

hectors house
24-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I looked this up on a news site it said "the child felt unwell, so an ambulance was called" - how can a 9 month old tell you she felt unwell, poor little mite and poor parents (and staff - our biggest nightmare come true for them)!

Rubybubbles
24-10-2012, 08:11 PM
How sad :-(

kindredspirits
24-10-2012, 08:12 PM
makes my heart break... my little girl is 9 months old. :(

new to all this
24-10-2012, 08:21 PM
:ohdear: how awful, my heart goes out to the parents

mrstom
25-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Baby Girl 'Chokes To Death' At Ramillies Hall School, Cheadle Hulme

A nine-month-old girl has died after reportedly choking on food at a nursery.

The youngster was taken to hospital from Ramillies Hall School in Cheadle Hulme, Greater Manchester, on Tuesday lunchtime but died a short time later.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: "Police were called to an address on Ramillies Avenue, Cheadle Hulme shortly after 12.20pm on Tuesday by the North West Ambulance Service following reports a child was choking.

"Officers attended and discovered a nine-month old baby had been taken to hospital but was sadly pronounced dead a short time later.

"Inquiries are continuing to establish the cause of death."

Contribute to this Story:
Send us a tip
Send us a photo or video
Suggest a correction

FOLLOW UK

Get Alerts

That's terrible - it's just round the corner from me!! Poor little mite. My prayers are with her family xx

rickysmiths
25-10-2012, 07:05 AM
It is so sad sounds like in appropriate food along with inadequate supervision and possibly in experienced staff. The second death in a nursery in as many months. Shocking. I wonder if this Nursery will close like the other one has?

ziggy
25-10-2012, 07:17 AM
How sad, poor parents. My heart also goes out to staff, that is something they will never get over

hectors house
25-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Going to find my first aid book later and refresh my memory on what to do in choking in babies - got a 10 month old just settling in.

kel1983
25-10-2012, 10:18 AM
This is so awful. My thoughts are with the family anf the staff at the nursery. It is one of my worse nightmares. I know of a family locally whose daughter sadly died from choking on a piece of toast. Her mum was unable to give her proper first aid as she was not sure what to do. It is very sad.

hectors house
25-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I think a lot of people are frightened to give first aid, even if they have had training, worried about being sued but on a first aid course our trainer said if someone has stopped breathing or heart has stopped then they are dead and if you do nothing then they stay dead, so better to just try something.

I know we don't know facts but surely (although they probably wouldn't realise it at the time) these parents would have preferred their baby to have a couple of broken ribs through first aid back blows or chest thrusts being given a little hard rather than not hard enough and their baby is dead. Every parents, childcarers nightmare - and I still have parents who won't give me proper emergency contact details.

Mouse
25-10-2012, 10:42 AM
How awful for all involved. Very sad.

JCrakers
25-10-2012, 10:53 AM
My heart goes out to the parents. I witnessed my 13yr old choking and its absolutely terrifying. The look on his face from not being able to breathe will stay in my mind for ever :(

I went into overdrive, cant remember much about it really but I just knew I had to dislodge the food. After a few hits on his back which resulted in nothing I whacked his back as hard as I could, then grabbed him from behind and one thrust and it was out...Thank God!!
I was shaking and sweating after from the adrenaline and my dd was beside herself in tears.
It makes me shake now just thinking about it

Awful. I really feel for everyone involved :(

silvermist
25-10-2012, 10:55 AM
So very sad, sending prayers to the family :(

Ripeberry
25-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I' m pretty confident about helping others who a chocking (I think). But I'm terrified about chocking myself as I've had a couple of close calls. But one day I might.not be that lucky. The only thing they suggest is to throw yourself against the top of a chair or hit your back against a wall. But.as I found out you cant help b
ut fall on the floor (that's what saved me). I' m nervous of jelly sweets now.

AliceK
25-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I' m pretty confident about helping others who a chocking (I think). But I'm terrified about chocking myself as I've had a couple of close calls. But one day I might.not be that lucky. The only thing they suggest is to throw yourself against the top of a chair or hit your back against a wall. But.as I found out you cant help b
ut fall on the floor (that's what saved me). I' m nervous of jelly sweets now.

I'm the same. Being on my own (with children) most of the time and as a single parent there is not usually an adult around to help. I feel like crap today, got a stinking cold and bad throat but I'm too scared to suck on a throat sweet incase I choke :blush:

xxx