PDA

View Full Version : how to deal with a short attention span!!!!

jellyelly
24-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi all,

I need some help trying to provide activities and resources for a 19 month old child that just lies in a corner and sucks their thumb! I find it hard to try and engage them in play when I have a 9 month old who requires a bit more of my attention!! The child has done this since they started back in march, as a result I'm struggling to find their likes and dislikes! Any help or advice would be hugely grateful,

Xx

jillplum
24-10-2012, 09:41 AM
That's sound a bit of a challenge and a worry. I would be wondering if there are other issues causing this eg health or family problems. If nothing like that is involved then I would try lying down next to the child and see what they do. maybe take a good book with you and turn the page so they can see them.

Mouse
24-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Do they do the same at home, or is it just when they are with you?

If they always lie in the same corner, why not make it into a comfy area? Put some nice blankets and pillows down, then leave some intersting obects close by. If you've got a treasure basket, put some of the bits from there nearby and see if they show any interest. Or hang something above them to look at, maybe drape a sheet to make a den?

If they start to have an interest in their corner, they may develop a curiosity about what else there is to see & do

VeggieSausage
24-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I think you have to make notes about this and speak to parents/ ask if they do this at home/ are they sleeping well?

What about if you take them out of your environment at home and go for a walk/park.....are they interested in anything then?

I would be recording this in my notes, could be welfare/health issues......

k1rstie
24-10-2012, 12:25 PM
urm, sorry, what was the question again?????

Only kidding. I had one who's favourite thing was a thumb and stairing into space. Now they are older, this phase has passed.

good luck