PDA

View Full Version : rats upstairs or downstairs (pets)

mushpea
23-10-2012, 08:00 PM
we have pet rats in our front room, they are very friendly and have never been a problem untill today, all the children are warned not to put their fingers in the cage just in case and babys are kept a very close eye on when they go near their cage, the rats dont ususaly bite and break the skin when fingers are near they just gently nip to see if your tasty then once they realise your not food they stop and just sniff. today the 5yrold put her fingers in after the umpteenth time of me telling her and her brother to leave them alone and next thing she says my fingers bleeding, I cant decide if they bit her or scratched her or if she pulled away quickly and scratched her fingeher on the bars as it looks more like a scratch than a bite but she says they bit her, I cleaned her up and mum was fine about it, theyve only been here a week and a half and are still learning boundries!
Anyway it has now made me nervous of having them down here when the children are around, in the 6 months we have had them this is the first person they have bitten and she is old enough to listen to me when I say dont put your fingers in so part of me thinks its just her tough luck and why should i change my whole house and animals about just because she couldnt listen, then the 2nd part says theres always that doubt that the littlys could get chomped although again, they are brilliant at leaving them alone so why should i change things.
we do have a 2nd cage which could go upstairs and the rats could go in it for the 2 hours these particular children are here but again why should I change things. the boy is 8yrs old so old enough to understand but he also has ADHD and his listening skills arent great nor can he be trusted in a room on his own
arrgh do i put them upstairs or carry on as normal

blue bear
23-10-2012, 08:06 PM
I'd think the little girl will need a tetanus jab, this will need to be written up as an incident and most probably let the insurance company know so a case coukd be opened in case anything comes of it further down the line.
You need to risk assess and be sure that the chikdren's safety is ensured, only you can answer whether you remove them from the room

mushpea
23-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I'd think the little girl will need a tetanus jab, this will need to be written up as an incident and most probably let the insurance company know so a case coukd be opened in case anything comes of it further down the line.
You need to risk assess and be sure that the chikdren's safety is ensured, only you can answer whether you remove them from the room

I don't even no for sure they did bite her and as I've informed mum of the incident that's her decision to make, I have decided to buy a fire guard to put around their cage to discourage little ones from going near it and in the evenings these 2 children will not be allowed in the front room until my son cones in from school and takes the rats upstairs,
I do think its ridiculous that I have to do this because a 5yrold and 8yr old couldn't listen especially when u have children far younger who can listen.

scottishlass
23-10-2012, 09:49 PM
I don't even no for sure they did bite her and as I've informed mum of the incident that's her decision to make, I have decided to buy a fire guard to put around their cage to discourage little ones from going near it and in the evenings these 2 children will not be allowed in the front room until my son cones in from school and takes the rats upstairs,
I do think its ridiculous that I have to do this because a 5yrold and 8yr old couldn't listen especially when u have children far younger who can listen.

Was interested to read this as not reg yet but I have a parrot who is in the livingroom. Was unsure what Care Inspectorate would think but she was happy as long as she doesnt come out when I have mindees and I will have to teach them not to put fingers in cage - will have to watch them like a hawk as she can give a good bite! Has only ever bitten hubby and that is because he handles her but would be a risk if little fingers go near.

mushpea
23-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Was interested to read this as not reg yet but I have a parrot who is in the livingroom. Was unsure what Care Inspectorate would think but she was happy as long as she doesnt come out when I have mindees and I will have to teach them not to put fingers in cage - will have to watch them like a hawk as she can give a good bite! Has only ever bitten hubby and that is because he handles her but would be a risk if little fingers go near.

Non of my minders have ever bothered with the cage or rats before today and I'm sure it was just an attention thing on her part that she kept doing it, she learnt her lesson the hard way, they have never bitten any of us an are handled on a daily basis so are very friendly so I can only assume she startled one of them

FussyElmo
23-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Non of my minders have ever bothered with the cage or rats before today and I'm sure it was just an attention thing on her part that she kept doing it, she learnt her lesson the hard way, they have never bitten any of us an are handled on a daily basis so are very friendly so I can only assume she startled one of them

has she got pets? if no then it's not knowing that they can hurt you. personally I would like you are putting the gate or putting them upstairs. just to protect my animals because they bite again it becomes a risk you are not protecting them from. only takes one parent to freak