PDA

View Full Version : Help Please !!

Racheljane
23-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could get any advice from other minders re behavioural issues. I childmind for school age children and unfortunately all my members (apart from 1 angel-girl!) are boys! Their behaviour is appalling and the majority of them also have issues at school re; behaviour i.e. regularly called into headmistress/on report etc.. I regularly separate them i.e. 2 in kitchen, 1 on stairs but I wondered how other childminders cope in the same situation as I'm sure I am not alone in my plight! I would be very grateful for any responses.

Thanks

Rachel
1 stressed childminder!!!

Beckys CM
23-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi,

I feel for you as boys can be such a handful. I find with boys they need a lot more supervision when they are doing things as things can get out of hand fast. Being outside with boys makes things easier as the space and fresh air and ability to run around more helps....this could also use up a lot of their energy for the rest of the day making it a bit calmer.

Is there a ring leader? If so tackle that child first and try and figure out how to help improve his behavior. This might have a positive effect on the others.

Sorry I don't have many more ideas.

Hope it gets easier.
Becky

gegele
23-10-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm clear on boundaries from day one.
I'm quite strict.
and more importantly when i have loads of boys we spend more time OUTSIDE!!!

we come back via the field, I bring their wellies to school and we take our time coming home so they let off steam outside before coming in!:laughing::laughing::thumbsup:

JCrakers
23-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Mine are mostly boys. :D
Tuesdays I have 5 boys and 2 girls
Weds I have 6 boys and 2 girls

I lay ground rules as soon as they start. Firm ones :D All the children (bar1) are really well behaved. 1 has problems listening and following but Ive had him for 5yrs so I percivere.

I will not have my house trashed or the toys broken. My rules are simple:
Respect my house and belongings, other people and children in the house
No Jumping on my sofa
No running around. My house is not a playground
No name calling/being mean to others
No swearing or inappropriate behaviour as we have small children in the house also

These rules are told to the children and any breaking of these rules means a time out to think about the rules and why they cant be followed :D

Just make sure you start these rules from the very start and be strong. Once children see a weakness in your manner or voice or you let them off 1 or 2 times they will play on that. :D I may sound really strict but I run a nice smooth, fun household where everyone loves coming. They just know I mean business :D

Sometimes if it gets a bit rowdy all I have to do is say 'errmmmm?' and they all know what I'm going to say :thumbsup:

Outside space always helps and we have a park on the way home from school that we call at for half an hour. Boys need to run off steam. Its harder in the winter though :panic:

JCrakers
23-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I would maybe set a time ie 2 weeks for behaviour to improve. If behaviour didnt improve I would give notice to the ones who are causing the stress :D

Maybe an afterschool club or somewhere they can run about might be better for the children who need it :thumbsup:

TNT
23-10-2012, 02:54 PM
As others have said outside running off lots of steam! I would direct their energy to start with and introduce some co-operation games and a bit of team building stuff, might encourage them to get along in a more positive way.
Also giving them responsibility may help, putting them in charge of something age appropriate (my own 6 year old does the recycling every day, I have another sets the table for dinner, the 3 year old is in charge of making sure all the lids are on the felt tips etc). Keep them busy, busy, busy.
Sounds like you have your hands full!