PDA

View Full Version : Shingles - pregnancy

Helcatt
22-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Hello

I am 22 weeks pg, and have been told by the nursery that the Dad of one of the lads I care for was diagnosed with shingles on friday.

I have this lad on Tuesday and Weds.

Nursery felt they needed to tell me, because of me being pregnant. Is shingles a problem? I know the lad has not got it, but could he be a carrier? Should I be stopping the child from coming?

Please help, I need to broach this this evening as I am supposed to be having his little sister start her settling in sessions this week too

Or, are nursery worrying me for no reason?

Thanks for your thoughts

Hx

dette
22-10-2012, 02:55 PM
dont worry xxx unless you havent had chicken pox ,(as you can catch chicken pox from shingles ,its the same virus)
.My DH had shingles when i was expecting and i was tested to see if i was immune ie.i had already had chickenpox,and i was.There are alot of myths around shingles ,the truth of it is...you canot catch shingles,you basicly give it to yourself ,anyone who has ever had chicken pox has the potential as it is brought on by stress,other illness ..infact lots of reasons .
People with shingles should avoid new babies as its not good for newborns to get chickenpox,,or people with low immune ststems,eg people on chemotherapy..
but in general you wont come to any harm if you come in contact with shingles

moggy
22-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Hello

I am 22 weeks pg, and have been told by the nursery that the Dad of one of the lads I care for was diagnosed with shingles on friday.

If the boy had not had chicken pox before it is worth remembering that he could catch chicken pox from his Dad's shingles. Not that there is much you can do about it, but it is good to know in case he seems off-colour or spots appear in the next 2-3 weeks.

My youngest son caught chicken pox from his older brother's shingles.

Helcatt
22-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks for that. I have had chicken pox and I know that when I first fell pregnant, they checked and I was immune.

I thought it would be fine, just couldnt work out why the nursery felt the need to tell me

The lad in question had chicken pox a few months back

Hx

dette
22-10-2012, 07:07 PM
bless you x its always a worry when you're pregnant.German measels was doing the rounds when i was expecting eldest DD but the nurse at work sent me home and made me stay there for 2 weeks on full pay ...i was quite happy with that:D