PDA

View Full Version : back up childminder

leeanne910
22-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Im in pre reg still waitin for ofsted. i want to sort as much out as poss. how do u get a back uo minder where do i look n is it important to have one before ofsted

thhhhxxxx

loocyloo
22-10-2012, 08:21 AM
its been a long time since i regsitered, and i know things have changed, so i don't know if you need ot have a back up childminder sorted.

that said, i don't have a back up childminder! i used to have a several ( there was a group of us who spent time together ) but i moved, and now there are no childminders local to me!

i have my DH and some friends as emergency contacts should i need anything/anyone.

good luck xxx

silvermist
22-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Hi, I dont have a back up childminder but if I did, Im assuming I would ask one of the local childminders who had spaces if she'd be interested in doing it. x

moggy
22-10-2012, 10:19 AM
There are two situations you may need a 'back-up' and you need to be clear for yourself which you are talking about-

1] in an emergency (you take seriously ill and need to hand children to someone, you urgently need to take a child to hospital and leave another child behind for parent to collect etc). This person does not need to be a registered childminder, just a trusted adult and it is good to name the person in your policies etc and inform parents who it would be (good to have two in case one is out!). Handy if it is someone close like a neighbour as no good if they are miles away and you need help quick! With permission, I give my emergency trusted person a sealed envelope with the children's contact details in case she needs to be able to contact their parents in an emergency.

2] If you can not open one morning because you/family member are sick or you have had a gas leak/flood etc, or if you are closed for a holiday, you may like to (but do not have to) give parents a suggestion of a CM they could go to for the days you are closed. You are not required to provided another CM in these circumstances but I generally let my parents know of a couple of CMs who might be able to help them out.

Ofsted may ask what your emergency plan is and '1' above would need to be part of your emergency plan and policy. I don't think any of that has changed with the new EYFS but it is worth having a detailed read to check that out.

k1rstie
22-10-2012, 11:15 AM
As always sarah has the info needed.

One of Sarah's ebooks, the safegaurding and welfare requiremnts -ebook16 chapter 2, page 17 states about emergency cover.

she says its a requirement for a childminders to have an emergency contact

kirstie

Helen Dempster
23-10-2012, 12:46 PM
I've been registered since 2008 and only very recently have I found a back up/emergency childminder. To be honest, in the past I've never had to use one :)

FussyElmo
23-10-2012, 12:56 PM
As always sarah has the info needed.

One of Sarah's ebooks, the safegaurding and welfare requiremnts -ebook16 chapter 2, page 17 states about emergency cover.

she says its a requirement for a childminders to have an emergency contact

kirstie

Very true but it doesnt have to be a childminder - any partner/dh, SIL/MIL an neighbour in a true emergency will suffice.

Dont stress over a back up childminder just have your emergency details/procedure up to date. I consider back up cm's to be there (if space allows) for sickeess and holidays.