PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new on here and feeling fed up

bernesewalking
20-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone, I've been childminding 15 years and always had a fairly good business going, but everything is now going wrong, this year alone I have lost 5 mindees as parents just can't afford the costs, the annoying thing is I'm one of the lowest in my area at £3.65, when my childminding friends 5 miles away all charge £5 per hr and seem to be full. I'm getting so fed up with the ' kick in the teeth ' feeling when all I've ever done is try my hardest with making them all happy. I've now started to look for other jobs although that's not what I want. Sorry I just needed to have a moan.

cathtee
20-10-2012, 09:01 PM
so sorry to hear that you are feeling deflated, hope things pick up for you soon

bernesewalking
20-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks, just hope things start to look up soon x

mum24
20-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone, I've been childminding 15 years and always had a fairly good business going, but everything is now going wrong, this year alone I have lost 5 mindees as parents just can't afford the costs, the annoying thing is I'm one of the lowest in my area at £3.65, when my childminding friends 5 miles away all charge £5 per hr and seem to be full. I'm getting so fed up with the ' kick in the teeth ' feeling when all I've ever done is try my hardest with making them all happy. I've now started to look for other jobs although that's not what I want. Sorry I just needed to have a moan.

I hope things pick up for you soon. This does seem to be a problem lots of people are having a the moment though, dont take it personally.
I think everyone is just having to tighten thier belts, and childcare costs are just one of those things.
I recently had a friend just 'joking' about moving her little one to me from nursery, as being her friend, she could have a 'special friends rate'. Not when she is taking a full time place, I am already much cheaper than the nursery. Can't blame her for trying though:)

blue bear
20-10-2012, 09:08 PM
:group hug: it's getting harder and harder to get work here too, especially since pre school are becoming all year nurseries and taking babies there is less and less work.

funemnx
20-10-2012, 09:09 PM
So sorry to hear you've lost mindees - I think generally with parents trying to cut down on costs they are getting family and friends to step when they wouldn't normally - hope things pick up for you soon xx

Kirstylob
23-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear you are feeling low. I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I went from being full to only having 1 part time mindee within a few weeks. I was really worried about what to do, I thought maybe it was natural end to me being a minder but my husband reassured me that there were lots of other children that needed minding and more would come along. The up side was that it was in July and I could spend a quieter summer holidays with my own children who were all still at school then. I decided to make the most of a quiet summer and try to fill spaces for Sept, I told myself I could always get a Christmas temp job if I needed to. I didn't need to and within a few weeks was full again, so please don't worry (I know it's easy to say), I'm sure you will soon be fit to burst again. In the meantime you could take advantage and get all your files sorted and get up to date with all those little things that you are meaning to do, either with the children or for them, done or written down for when you are too busy!!
Think positive and good luck. x

Ripeberry
23-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Hope it picks up for you soon. I think of it as a tide. The tide is out at the moment but it will soon come back in :)

bernesewalking
23-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Thanks everyone for replying, I've been putting my details everywhere advertising spaces so we'll have to wait and see, I'll try and get on top of my paperwork as ofsted are well overdue and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again x