PDA

View Full Version : do you think animals are good or put people off

mushpea
20-10-2012, 01:32 PM
so you think having animals indoors puts people off? we have a rabbit in a 4ft indoor cage next to a 5.5ft tall rat cage whos next to a 3ft long tank with gerbils in!
so far I have had mixed reactions regarding the rats, one lady walked in and said 'oh how lovley I used to have them as a child' yet others dont like them, the lady last night said shes not keen on rats but they were upstairs at the time as I hada freind round yesterday whos scared of them.
with the rats I do tell people that I am happy for them to go upstairs during the day if they really dont want their child to be in the same room as them as I understand people really dont like them plus we have a spair cage upstairs but I dont offer this with my other animals.
I find a lot of people like the fact we have animals as they want their children to grow up around them but others dont seem bothered.
if you have animals how do you find people act?

FussyElmo
20-10-2012, 01:53 PM
I feel I'm either the right house for someone with my 2 dogs/chickens or people won't touch me with a bargepole

AliceK
20-10-2012, 02:01 PM
I don't know how many people might be put off by my animals as I guess they don't contact me as I make it clear in my advertising but I've never had a problem being full and the majority of my mindees don't have pets at home but their parents obviously aren't put off and my newest mindees parents told me they are glad I have lots of pets as their DD can now grow up around them.
I have a dog, 2 cats, 4 rabbits, a hamster and a GALS.

xxx

watgem
20-10-2012, 02:07 PM
we have 2 dogs, 3 rabbits and a guinea pig, which I make clear on initial contact that we have. So far everyone has been very positive, all the pets live indoors and children help feed them and pet the bunnies and guinea-pig, and parents without pets have seen ours as a bonus for them, their children experience the fun and some of the responsibilities without the cost to the parent! At the moment one of my LO without pets is doing his Beavers petcare badge with me, so I think having pets could be an advantage:):):)

sharonmanc
20-10-2012, 02:26 PM
it is probably the rats, a lot of people have a problem with them, and it can put some off. If you think it is putting people off, i would put them upstairs when you have a visit.

For me personally when I was looking for a childminder, if they had a dog that was a put off for me, just my personal opinion thats all. Each to their own, but you will find that there are equally people who it does not bother :)

Pipsqueak
20-10-2012, 02:46 PM
got 3 dogs and I make it very clear in my advertising and initial phone/email contacts.

if they don't like it - thats fine though to tbh I have only had one family who thought they could cope with it but couldn't.

Ripeberry
20-10-2012, 03:04 PM
I know some people don't like animals because they have genuine allergies. But honestly if someone came to my setting and just plain said they hated any of MY animals...including my own kids :rolleyes:. Then they know where the door is.
I have animals as its MY home first and foremost.

Ripeberry
20-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I used to have a pet rat years ago before children and called it 'Rasputin' as it was a hooded rat. He used to run around the room and climb up our legs when we were sitting on the sofa. We didn't do that when guests were in the house.
We also had free flying cockatiels in the living room who liked to come down from the curtain rail and once..don't laugh but this is true, the female cockatiel took a liking to white wine and she would take a couple of sips and then spend most of the time staggering around the floor. Never did her any harm and she went on to have three broods of chicks a few years later.
I like my animals to be 'free' :D

samb
20-10-2012, 03:32 PM
We have chinchilla's in the living room - no one has ever commented negatively on them. I inform parents that they do not come out of the cage when I am alone with the children. Most have said they wouldn't mind them being out at all. But chinchilla's are fast and jump and hide so I don't want to risk losing them and am not good at getting them back in their cage so it is more for me than the kids!

singingcactus
20-10-2012, 06:46 PM
We have quite a few pets. Lots of people are nervous of the snakes, but it has never put anyone off using my services. The kids all adore them and get excited when they pop their heads up and look out of their vivs. Most people like my gerbils, they live in a bespoke tank so we can watch them tunnelling which is cool, although some have issues with their tails for some reason! Some people get squeamish around the snails, but they are easy to ignore. And some people like the cats and some don't but they've never put anyone off either.
Am hoping to purchase an axolotl over the christmas period, to which one of my mums has already said I will need to collect and drop off her son every day cos I have too many icky pets lol. My response was to tag her on facebook to a pic of an axolotl, which everyone else on the unit has pinged up for her every single day since lol. I think she will be fine by the time I pick him up lol.

I don't worry too much about whether people like my pets or not, if the parent has a genuine concern about one of them (usually the snakes) I just explain how they cannot get to the kids, and the kids cannot get to my babies! Then they are all happy and usually make a beeline for them to look each day lol. Everyone gets used to them quickly. If someone couldn't get passed the fact I own animals then they would be very welcome to look for a place that suits their needs, without any ill feelings from me. I don't like dogs so wouldn't go anywhere with a dog - but I am working on my fears with a friend of mine and her dog. I can now walk passed most dogs in the street without the screaming white noise in head.

Happystay
20-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a Labradoodle,2 cats and 10 free range chicken.I explain to all enquirers that I do dog poo patrol in the garden daily ,but chicken poo is imposable to clear .So wellys are a must.Thats rural liveing and if they dont like it dont use me.

mushpea
20-10-2012, 07:02 PM
thats some interesting replys and animals!, I have always said that if people dont like the animals then I am the wrong setting and my animals are in my adverts so people know I have them to begin with, the recent adition of the rats earlier this year didint up set my regular customers and although new parents have said they dont like them i dont know that the reason they havent joined up is because of them although I think they could put some people of which is sad really as I find them very freindly and interesting little critters.
I have had people send their children to me as they themselves are scared of dogs and dont want their children to be, we have a very laid back labrador although once he passes on I dont know that I could have another dog as i dont know that I would find one so laid back, he is never left alone with the children as even though he is great with the kids you never can tell how a dog is feeling.
the children love cuddling our new baby bunny and the two new schoolies are desperate to hold the rats although I have said no to this as they can be a bit quick.

Ripeberry
20-10-2012, 07:33 PM
thats some interesting replys and animals!, I have always said that if people dont like the animals then I am the wrong setting and my animals are in my adverts so people know I have them to begin with, the recent adition of the rats earlier this year didint up set my regular customers and although new parents have said they dont like them i dont know that the reason they havent joined up is because of them although I think they could put some people of which is sad really as I find them very freindly and interesting little critters.
I have had people send their children to me as they themselves are scared of dogs and dont want their children to be, we have a very laid back labrador although once he passes on I dont know that I could have another dog as i dont know that I would find one so laid back, he is never left alone with the children as even though he is great with the kids you never can tell how a dog is feeling.
the children love cuddling our new baby bunny and the two new schoolies are desperate to hold the rats although I have said no to this as they can be a bit quick.

I used to like sticking my rat up my jumper and he would snuggle on my shoulder. I much prefer rats to hamsters :-)

Daisy De
20-10-2012, 07:37 PM
I think there is room for everyone, with or without pets.

I spent 15 years wanting a dog but thinking I couldn't have one whilst childminding. After some research, choosing the right breeder, the right puppy, good training and teaching mutual respect between the dog and the children the last four years I have had a dog has been wonderful. So good I got another puppy two years ago :)

I now have two Golden Retrievers, two cats and have had numerous guinea pigs over the years. The animals are part of the family and part of what my setting provides. I am full and everyone is happy with the animals, one parent wanted her child to have the pleasure of a pet but didn't want one so, in her words, let me have the mess and expense whilst her child experienced the joys of owning a pet :laughing: Occasionally, I get enquiries from people who cannot come here due to allergies and a couple of times cultural differences regarding animals have meant I am not the childminder for them, one lady could not understand
the idea of having a dog as a pet and living inside the house. I respect these things and politely refer them to a petless colleague.

Even a very scary Ofsted Inspector had no issues with the animals, so all in all there is room for everyone with or without pets. Some people will come to you because of your pets and some will run very quickly in the opposite direction. :)

sarah707
20-10-2012, 08:09 PM
I think animals are great for helping children learn about pet care and respecting others... :D