PDA

View Full Version : Shape, space and measures 8-20mths

jo.jo76
20-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi

Just wondering if anyone could help. In the 8-20mths of shape, space and measures, where is says 'Recognises big things and small things in meaningful contexts'
I play games with different sized objects, talk about them when looking at books. Just don't know how to observe it.
What kind of things should I be looking for, particularly with a child who is not using any words. How do I know if they recognise size?

Thank you

Jo x

dette
20-10-2012, 01:15 PM
just asking "which is the big /small one" and LO pointing at the right thing is enough.or saying Bring me big/small teddy etc

jo.jo76
20-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Thank you for replying. Yes, I've thought about asking him but was thinking more of what kind of things are observable, showing he understands size in context.

Jo x

The Juggler
20-10-2012, 10:14 PM
i would not worry too much about trying to observe specifc sub areas of learning.

In addition from sept, we can concentrate on comms and language, PSED and PD.

I never really plan to observe areas of learning I just note the things that jump out at me. I agree its things like a child shouting 'big lorry' but don't wory too much.

what IS frustrating about revised EYFS is when children of 20 months ARE obviously doing these things and it's hard to place them in the 3 prime areas of learning :rolleyes:

VeggieSausage
21-10-2012, 07:50 AM
In recognising big and small at that age you could observe that they hold their arms out to pick up something big or use their pincer to pick up something small...