PDA

View Full Version : Play pen or travel cot???

sharonmanc
20-10-2012, 11:12 AM
I a taking on a little 4 1/2 month old starting next week, did not expect to be taking on a little one, but mum loves my setting, the family is lovely and it is only 3 days which fits in perfect for me.

However I have my own 3 year old and a 14 month old full time, plus 2 after schoolies who are 4 on a wed thur fri, so am looking at what I can use to pop him in while i cook tea, or need to see to one of the little ones, so he is safe, and so he can still play.

Was wondering what you use. I do have a travel cot, but was wondering if a play pen might be a good investment, especially as one of my mums is pregnant and her little one will be comeing to me at the end of next year.

I Have been looking at the lindam safe and secure playpen, which has a nice thick mat at the bottom, and can also be used as a room divider, plus I can take it out in the summer on the grass, but was wondering if this was really necesssary and if the travel cot will do just as good, plus i have to be careful of takng up too much space, as i use my dining room and front room for minding, so not a huge house.

What do you use??

Any input appreciated

Maza
20-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I use the travel cot to double up as a playpen if I need to for short periods. I don't have room for a playpen. It depends on where you put the travel cot for sleeping. I live in a flat and so we are all on one level and fairly open plan, so I can easily monitor babies playing in a travel cot. x

muffins
20-10-2012, 11:48 AM
I have both play pen & travel cot but used neither when I had 4mth old mindee, usually had 2 or 3 others 3 & under plus 2 4yr old schoolies! Yes was mad but worked well cos all slept well after lunch for me to organise!

Baby would be in bouncer, door bouncer or on play mat when in front room, and sat with us in high chair (with toys) if we're at table doing crafts. If I was in kitchen would be either in pushchair or bouncer in kitchen with me, he was at the laundry end of a long kitchen so well away from anything hot!

gegele
20-10-2012, 12:08 PM
i would think bouncer as well. at that age.
I use travel cot as playpen as well with tiny one in emergency. when i have baby i tend to have a corner with blankets and toys which are for the baby, like in toddler group.:thumbsup:

2kidsunder5
20-10-2012, 01:04 PM
I would use a bouncer too :D

dette
20-10-2012, 01:12 PM
i thought a travel cot would be great when i had my youngest as a place to keep him safe while i wee etc..but my 13month old liked to shake to travel cot so baby would bounce about !!! so ...i decided that cot was great if i always had 13month old with me .other than that i think i just grew eyes in my bum

sharonmanc
20-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Thank you everyone, think i will get a baby bouncer for him to sit in, I knwo he will only use a short period of time but at least I know I can pop him in if i need so he can watch me while I am in the kitchen, I have a quiet corner with blankets and things so will make this more inviting for a very little one. I have an indoor lie flat pushchair my 14 month old sleeps in downsatirs, so he could use this too while she is not havign her nap.

Suppose best to utilise what I have rather than buy lots of things that will take up room.