PDA

View Full Version : what do you need to cover in your observations and assessments

OliviaLuke2
20-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey am just about to start doing my first observations and assessments since the new EYFS was intorduced and am getting conflicting messages on what to include in your assessments and observations, do you only concentrate on the 3 prime areas for the assessments as children need these before the progress to the other four ares ( as i have been told) or do you assess all seven areas.

An eyfs co ordinator recently visited a friend of mine and only give her observation sheets and assessment sheets including the 3 prime areas but surely if you observe a child doing something that falls into the other 4 areas this should be recorded???? help majorly confused

cathtee
20-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi depending on the age of the lo governs which area you cover, mainly under 3's are covered by the prime areas and yes the 3 year old may do something in the other 4 areas so you
would document what you observe in this part to.

Hope this helps

moggy
20-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Yes, but also if an under-3s is observed doing something that fits one of the specific areas then YES you record it just the same as the prime areas. I have a a 22mth old who is great at numbers and she says when there is two of something, so I do not ignore that- I make on observation and relevant next steps as it is the individual child's interests and abilities you need to record and plan for, not whether what they are doing fits a particular category. That's my opinion anyway!