PDA

View Full Version : childminder with epilepsy?

luciafeb
20-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi

I need some advice im seriously looking into childminding I have a 2 year old myself and i have epeilspy i take related medication and have been seizure free for 4 years it is very well controlled. I am able to drive and it does not restrict my day to day activies at all My question is can i be a childminder if i am epileptic? I would really like to hear of someone who has been down this road

thanks you :)

christine e
20-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Have no personal experience but didn't want to 'read and run', you seem to have it under control and you are still driving so would see this as all being very positive - hopefully someone will come along soon who has some useful information for you

Cx

tas
20-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Hi sorry I haven’t any first hand experience but I would contact Ofsted or your local LA childminding team and talk to them about it. But as you hold a driving licence then your doctor has agreed you are fit to drive so therefore I would guess that he would also pass your health form for Ofsted
Good luck! :)

luciafeb
20-10-2012, 03:00 PM
thank you for your replies its so difficult to get info out of people when its epilepsy related fingers crossed they will allow me to start childminding thank you again :laughing:

tulip0803
20-10-2012, 05:06 PM
HI

Again I have no first hand experience with epilepsy but I wanted to say that they may refer you to their health panel even if your doctor says you are fit - they do this to tick all their boxes and say that they are ensuring the safety of the children. I got referred as I have asthma (no hospital stays ever) but they referred so they could say that if anything ever happened whilst I was minding that they had done all they could IYSWIM. I was allowed to childmind after their review. Just don't panic if it does happen it is not necessarily a negative just a formaility.

Good luck

Playmate
20-10-2012, 05:19 PM
I know a Childminder who is registered and does have epilepsy so it is possible. Obviously each case is looked at individually. I hope you are able to go ahead, my father is epileptic and was fit free for many years and always had a driving license. Unfortunately in the last year has had 3 fits, but were bought on by illness (he is now 82) and we know the triggers and the signs that it is going to occur and these can be planned for.

Good luck, keep us posted :thumbsup:

luciafeb
22-10-2012, 02:14 PM
i spoke to ofsed today and they said it will not effect my application i will need to get a gp letter saying i am fit and well and then this is passed onto ofsed who then may or may not give me a medical depending on how severe they see the condition but great news i am now in the process of applying :clapping::clapping::clapping: