PDA

View Full Version : trials free or charge

mushpea
19-10-2012, 07:23 PM
as it says really , I have a trial day with a possible newbie in half term, its only for 4 hours, do I charge or do I do it for free?

cathtee
19-10-2012, 07:32 PM
It's entirely up to you, I do not charge for settling periods

Tatjana
19-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I've never charged....but I've never done one for as long as 4 hours!!

mushpea
19-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I've never charged....but I've never done one for as long as 4 hours!!

lol its a trial for mum and baby as shes a bit worried about leaving him which is understandable, I wonder wether to offer to do it for half fee as a good will gesture and see what she says,, when she arrived she said she was viewing other settings but from the questions she was asking and the way she was talking I am not sure if she really is and sounds more like she wants me to have him which would be great.

bunyip
19-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Entirely up to you, but I think 4 hours is a session, not just a settling-in.

At the very least, I'd take a deposit-type fee, to be credited against her first permanent bill if she stays with you. I don't know of many services where you get 4 hours free and can walk away if you change your mind. :(

Jenna
19-10-2012, 08:16 PM
I offer a 2 hour free settling in session one parent asked me could they do a 4 hour session instead so i just explained that they'd have to pay for the extra 2 hours which she was fine with little boy now comes 3 days a week.

Mouse
19-10-2012, 08:22 PM
I do a couple of free one hour settling sessions, but any trial sessions would be paid for.

If a parent wanted a 4 hour trial session and hadn't done any of the free settling sessions I would probably knock an hour off the fee & just charge for 3 hours.

loocyloo
19-10-2012, 10:12 PM
i usually do a couple of 1 hr free settling sessions.

i have a new LO starting in jan ... we arranged a settling session for next week, then as mum said she needed to pop into work in november for a 'keep in touch' session ... lead me to believe it was only a couple of hours i said ok ... can you see where i'm going with this? ... turns out i am going to have LO for about 5hrs! somehow found myself saying 'thats fine' when my brain was saying NO! mum said she has a few more work sessions to attend ... don't think i'll be able to cover them! ;)

i charge for trial sessions, and don't do those without a temp contract signed; even if we are looking at 'proper' contract in the future.

samb
19-10-2012, 10:15 PM
When you say "trial" do you mean she is literally trying out your services without any sort of commitment/paperwork in place? I personally don't offer this to protect me from being used as a random 1 off babysitter. I am happy for parents to visit a few times with child and if they are particularly nervy like one I am having for ad hoc care then I suggest that they come for a coffee and then ask them if they want to go for a walk to the shops or to see how long it would take to walk to the station etc to encourage them to leave their child for a very limited time. I offer a free 2 hour settling session but this is once paperwork is signed and they are definitely going to be staying with me.

mushpea
20-10-2012, 11:57 AM
When you say "trial" do you mean she is literally trying out your services without any sort of commitment/paperwork in place? I personally don't offer this to protect me from being used as a random 1 off babysitter. I am happy for parents to visit a few times with child and if they are particularly nervy like one I am having for ad hoc care then I suggest that they come for a coffee and then ask them if they want to go for a walk to the shops or to see how long it would take to walk to the station etc to encourage them to leave their child for a very limited time. I offer a free 2 hour settling session but this is once paperwork is signed and they are definitely going to be staying with me.

she is definatly going back to work and sounded like she likes my service, what i offer, the home and animals etc but I think shes nervous about leaving him as she is worried that he will just cry all day, she also said this a trial for her as shes never left him before so i think if I can convince her that he was fine she will probably come back to me,

thanks all for your advice I have decided to charge her for 2 hours and give 2 hours free

bunyip
21-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Good luck, Mushpea.

Really hope the mum shakes off her nervousness, realises you're amazing, and gives you the business permanently. :thumbsup: :clapping:

The Juggler
21-10-2012, 09:41 PM
i don't do free trials. if parents sign a contract they then get 4 hours free settling in but no-one has taster sessions :panic:

miffy
21-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't do it unless they had decided they wanted the place and paid a deposit.

Good luck, hope it goes OK

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
21-10-2012, 09:56 PM
I would not do it without a signed Contract because you would not be insured even if mum stays with you. I have a four week settling in period when the contract starts properly and prior to this I offer two one hour free sessions and if mum wants more they are paid for.

For example I signed a contract with parents this Sat and they have paid a four weeks fee Deposit. Their baby will come to me 3 days a week from the beg of Jan but because the Contract is signed and dated last Sat I will do a couple of settling in sessions in late Nov early Dec before Christmas.