PDA

View Full Version : Argh!! Now what?

melco
19-10-2012, 12:45 PM
I was on here last week as I have a 14mth old that I child mind and was thinking of giving notice because the child screams for everything. In the end I changed my mind and decided to leave it until after half term and see if things are any better. Basically I have another lo that I look after and have done since July who is 10mths old and the last couple of days he has been doing a high pitched scream. I noticed a couple of days ago and his mum mentioned it this morning. I have been thinking and could he be copying the other ones behaviour? If so what do I do now? I can't have the both of them screaming and do I give notice due to the other one for being a bad influence!! I don't know what to do as things were getting better with the older one but the last few days he has got worse again. I know sometimes he screams because he is frustrated being in the high chair while I put dinner on but I make sure that its only a few minutes. Another childminder told me I should leave him playing when I prepare dinner but I don't feel comfortable with that as I can not see him from where I am.

Advice please

Thanks

Melco

sarah707
19-10-2012, 02:09 PM
It's not normally behavioural at that age - it's more usually a habit they've got into because they are used to having to make a noise to get attention or with some children they just like the noise they are making! :laughing:

Can you see the children while you are making food? Do you keep them busy with things to play with and lots of reassurance?

My little ones will potter while I am making food but I am never more than a few inches away. You have to do what works best for you.

Hugs x

dawn100
19-10-2012, 03:18 PM
When my dd was younger she use to scream for everything, I think it in her case was frustration as it was her only way to communicate after trying all sorts I decided to teach her basic makaton (about 10 signs) to aid her communication so every time she would scream for something I'd go through the list of possible and get her to copy the sign before she was allowed it within a week it was like I had a new child she then went on to be a very early talker. I used makaton as I knew it as I worked with adults with dissabilities but if you dont know makaton you could use your own signs for some of the basic things.

melco
19-10-2012, 04:24 PM
It's not normally behavioural at that age - it's more usually a habit they've got into because they are used to having to make a noise to get attention or with some children they just like the noise they are making! :laughing:

Can you see the children while you are making food? Do you keep them busy with things to play with and lots of reassurance?

My little ones will potter while I am making food but I am never more than a few inches away. You have to do what works best for you.

Hugs x

Hi,

When he is in the high chair it is only while I do something in the kitchen and no I can not see him while I am there which is why I put him in the high chair I just could not risk it. I always give him something to do and his favourite game is to throw whatever he is playing with on the floor and then scream for me to pick up, I have tried ignoring and as soon as the screaming stops get the toy for him and praise him so he understands that he did not get what he wanted because of the screaming.

My worry now is that the other lo has started doing it and the parents of this child have realised where he has got it from and they are upset that he is copying because he has started to do it at home and they don't know what to do to stop it and at the moment are ignoring him but am worried they may blame for this as I have not been able to prevent this. I know this sounds horrible but I would be happier if I did not have him, but as I have not been minding that long i am scared to bring it up with the mum without upsetting her and I always say the wrong thing!!