PDA

View Full Version : parent annoyed about 48 hour rule

jaykay79
18-10-2012, 02:14 PM
hi guys, my first post in here :) ... had a mindee throw up everywhere yesterday evening half an hour before pick up time after having looked peaky for a hour or two so i called mum and asked her to collect right away so round she came to get him, stands on the doorstep and says "is it ok if i bring him in tomorrow if he's ok tonight?" she caught me on the hop as i had just automatically assumed she'd know that that was him excluded for 48hrs and i just errrrr'd and ahhhh'd for a minute and said i shouldn't really and she's like "well have a think about it and let me know" so she then leaves. a vomiting bug is doing the rounds at the min and there is no way i wanted him back here just in case, so i text her an hour or so after she'd left saying "hi hun i've had a think and spoken to a couple of my childminder friends for advice and they all say to stick to the 48hr rule for vomiting as i have to think of the other children in my care as i can't potentially expose them to a vomiting bug so i need to do all i can to prevent it, i had to exclude (another mindee) a couple of weeks ago for diarrhea so it's unfair to have one rule for one and not another. schools nurseries and childminders all have to follow the same government guidelines to prevent the spread of infection, I'd also leave myself open to complaints if i don't follow the policies set out so i'm afraid i'm going to have to stick to the rule book. how is mindee now hun?" so all i get back from that essay is "he is fine had his tea he was starving i just wanted to check did he throw up his dinner or just his milk?" so i replied "it looked to be just his milk" and i get back "I can assure you (mindee) is not ill and i personally do not class milk as vomit" i said that it was not just spitting up and that he was far too old for that now anyway in my opinion (20 months). so i've stuck to my guns and she is not amused whatsoever, apparently we are going to have to discuss this on monday???! am i right in what i've done? x

ziggy
18-10-2012, 03:34 PM
yeap you're right.

I have it in my contracts that children cannot return to setting till 48hrs after last bout of sickness etc. I've worked in nursery and it's the same there. Last June i had 4 children all go down with vomitting bug in one afternoon, then of course i spent weekend being sick:(

jaykay79
18-10-2012, 03:52 PM
yeah i have it in my contract also, which she happily (at the time lol) signed x x

Twinkles
18-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Absolutely right.

Print this off and give her a copy.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

EmmaReed84
18-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Erm... my response... tough! I assume she has a copy of your Illness/Infectious diseases policy which states for 48hour rule... if so she can read it and stop moaning, I am sure she would be quick to moan/complain if her child caught something from another because you bent the rules.

Pipsqueak
18-10-2012, 04:29 PM
oh dear poor parent having to look after her poorly child (before I get shot down I know I know....)

yes you have done the right thing 100%....
nothing to 'discuss' as such - you are safeguarding the wellbeing of you and yours, your other clients and their familes, you are preventing the spread of infection and you are preventing it going round you and yours and the resulting time of when you have to close -plus your loss of income.

silvermist
18-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes you have done the right thing. I sent lo home today after 3 runny nappies in an hour and a half, I was told 'he's teething'. Sorry but he needs to go home xx

WibbleWobble
18-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Yes you have done the right thing. I sent lo home today after 3 runny nappies in an hour and a half, I was told 'he's teething'. Sorry but he needs to go home xx

i had a lo who had the trots.....mum said it was because she had eaten 3 apples the night before....i had to hold mr wobble back as he said to mum...."and when did she have time to eat them? in her sleep?!"

lo was here from 8-6.15pm then home to bottle and bed.

i gave notice.....this was another grrrrrrr on top of others

wibble xxx

EmmaReed84
18-10-2012, 06:19 PM
i had a lo who had the trots.....mum said it was because she had eaten 3 apples the night before....i had to hold mr wobble back as he said to mum...."and when did she have time to eat them? in her sleep?!"

lo was here from 8-6.15pm then home to bottle and bed.

i gave notice.....this was another grrrrrrr on top of others

wibble xxx

:clapping::clapping::laughing: Go on Mr Wobble, get in! LOL

Jo Jo
18-10-2012, 06:24 PM
My policy is 48 hour exclusion too don't worry about it :thumbsup:

appleblossom
18-10-2012, 06:29 PM
I had to send a child home after vomiting yesterday afternoon. This LO goes to another CM on Mondays and was sent home from her setting part way through the morning on Monday because he was shivering and his lips were going blue. (This LO has febrile convulsions). He stayed at home with his Mum on Tuesday and came to me at 10am Wednesday. Mum said he still was off his food and only had a piece of toast that morning. He hardly ate any lunch. I had to wake him from his nap to go on the school run and he cried, he did not want to get out of bed. Then after the school run he was sick in the kitchen, so I called his Mum. She was quite upset as she has lost so much money in unpaid wages this week (she normally does a night shift Thursday & LO stays here overnight, which can't be done tonight of course). I can sympathise with her about the loss of money but what can I do?

lisa1968
18-10-2012, 07:09 PM
..just point out that, if you or your children get the bug,then nobody will receive childcare until you are well again :)