PDA

View Full Version : First graded inspection, disappointed

sam411
18-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Hi just want to vent really! Had my first graded inspection yesterday and feeling a bit disappointed and fed up to be honest, Was reg in April but only started with children in September, so only 6 weeks ago,I was inspected under the new system and she showed me the way they evaluate and I feel its much harder to gain a higher grade. Everything I've done is fine but there's just not enough after only 6 weeks to get me any higher than satisfactory now, I know this is expected at the fist inspection but feel bit fed up I will have this grading for 3 years. Its just annoying to be graded for 6 months work when I have only got 6 weeks to prove everything.:mad: All my RA, safeguarding and actual care of the children etc was all good and had no actions, more just the paperwork, I had done baseline assessments, obs, learning journeys and next steps already for all children, but can only show a few weeks worth of development in so not enough for them, plus more parent involvement which again only had a few weeks to show.

just questioning whether all this hard work is worth it. Doing 40+ hours child care, with room for more, plus up to 3 hours a week paperwork, rearranged my living room, kitchen, kids rooms and garden to do this, for £3.50 an hour?? plus the added stress of getting my head around tax, expenses etc etc.

anyway vent over, sorry bout that:)

gegele
18-10-2012, 06:34 AM
you have period where you want to chuck it all and it's not worth it.....etc

but then you have those moment when it's the best thing in the world, when in hot spring you're sitting in the grass, on a picnic mat, feeding a baby while the other children are chasing a butterfly...

when you take them all to the beach, the squeals of delight of the toddler who brave the sea for the first time...

when you can take your children to the zoo rather than go to work in an office...

when you have a really shy 4yrs old who become so confident...

Those moment are worth everything...

Now paperwork:
your grade NOBODY cares! at least next inspection you have a goal to get better and satisfactory is a good grade. A parent will choose you because he/she has a connection with you, 95% of parent do not read policies.... Do not put yourself under too much pressure, you can do it.
the money don't sound great BUT positive by saying that sometime in the day you earn £21 per hour if you have 6 children!!:D
the taxe are more scary than difficult.

Breathe!!!
your grading is done now enjoy your job :-):thumbsup:

sarah707
18-10-2012, 06:54 AM
As gegele says you are at the start of a new career and it really can be wonderful!

Hugs x

jillplum
18-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I have been doing it for many years and no parent has even chosen me on the basis of my paperwork or inspection grade. If you are still able to child mind after your inspection then it was a success :clapping:

hectors house
18-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Well done you - I think satisfactory is great after just 6 weeks in the job, I got good in my first inspection but that was way before EYFS, for my next inspection (first with EYFS) I worked really hard, improved my setting and my practice 100% but because it was a different criteria and different inspector I got Good, and I was really disappointed - I knew I wouldn't get outstanding overall but in one or two areas would have been nice.

So I do know how you feel, but like others have said it is how the parents who use you as a childminder's opinions that count - not the view of someone who visits for a few hours, and it was the support of my parents that kept me going.

Tuesday I looked after a toddler for an hour extra, gave him his tea and took him home as his mum was ill in bed - yesterday she filled in my parent satisfaction survey and gave me 6 out of 5 for all the questions and bought me big box of chocs - she is always telling me how wonderful I am - this is why I childmind, money doesn't come into it - just give me praise and chocolate!

sskent08
18-10-2012, 12:40 PM
I was exactly the same as you I was inspected after a few weeks childminding and given satisfactory. But I was already full before I had even been inspected, that was two years ago now.

I have never had a parent ask what my grade was. I have got all my work on people liking me and who I am and what I have to offer the children.

I was very diasppointed like you, but now on reflection she was propbably right and I have improved things massivly, that only came with experiance.
I love this job and would not want to go back to working in an office, it fits in with my family, in time you will get in a good routine with the paperwork- it sounds like you are of to a good start.

I use an excel accounts system for my tax it is fab - Child's Play Accounts for Childminders (http://www.childsplayaccounts.co.uk/) - been using it for three years, really easy - takes the stress out.

|Go to local toddler groups, get to know local childminders for support, you of course have us on here to talk to but I have some really good friends who are childminders

winstonian
18-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I completely agree. I understand how you feel - I got good in my first inspection but the only action was to do something with an electrical lead in my bedroom, I thought there would be some help or advice on my learning journeys but no.
However i have looked after 32 children now in 2.5 years and i can count on 1 hand the number of people who have shown any interest in my Ofsted report or grade!

sam411
19-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies, still feeling a little deflated after working hard but yes just focusing on people meeting me and judging me then on the care I can provide, not for the paperwork lol. Im just annoyed I actually had everything in place, just only 6 weeks worth. Anyway will move on and aim for good next time....if I can last that long! It's such hard work just to even start as a childminder, I can see why so many give it up though, such a hard job. At least the children are happy and settled! Thanks again everyone :) x