PDA

View Full Version : Motivation help!!

jellyelly
17-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Hi,

I am new to this so please forgive me for not knowing all the abbreviations!! I am having some trouble finding my mojo! I have been childminding for over a year now and loved it to start with but I have been finding it really hard lately. I have taken on a new baby recently so for two days a week I have 3 children under 2, on those same days I have a school aged child that is the same age as my son so my sons behaviour has been causing me issues as he is showing off all the time and I'm at my wits end as to how I can improve things! Just to top it all off my paperwork has also fallen behind and its going to take me ages to get it back up to a decent level! Please if anyone has any advice I would really find it useful,
Thanks xx

Kirstylob
17-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi, Welcome and don't worry. We are all behind with something. Give yourself time, a new child takes time to settle in and makes a difference to everyone. With the EYFS changing most of us are still playing catch up and making sure everything is done. You don;t say how old your son is, but could you give him some responsibility? Maybe he could help with the younger children's coats on the way to school or hold their hands when crossing the road. This might make him feel useful, he's probably feeling a bit funny with another child his age in the house suddenly.

I'm sure there will be more experienced minders with better advice coming along, but I hope that helps. This forum is an absolute life saver and gives better and more friendly advice than anyone I know, everybody on here is willing to share experiences and advice so much more than any of the childminders in my village. If I'm not sure of anything, I don't talk to the other minders where I live, I come on here and get the best advice there is, so rest assured we are all here to help where we can and support you. There is always someone (usually Sarah!!) who knows the answer.

silvermist
17-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. First of all dont panic. It takes a while before you get your childminders head into gear, there seems so much to do and take in. I tried to do everything at once and got nowhere fast. Make a plan and stick to it. I dont have mindees on a friday until after school so every friday is my paperwork day. I put anything that needs to be done into a 'to be filed' folder during the week then I tackle it on the friday. I use the time when my los are sleeping to do learning journals etc. Just take your time, Sarah707 on this forum produces the most amazing ebooks, they really are a life saver and very user friendly, definately worth looking into.

hope that helps, xx

jellyelly
17-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Thank you so much for your help and advice, its really nice to know I can talk to someone about this sort of stuff. I find this job can be really lonely!
My son is five and the other child his age goes to the same school, they were in the same class last year. They seem better when they have something to do but I can't seem to occupy them and the younger 2!!

silvermist
18-10-2012, 08:17 AM
You dont have to do same activity with both age groups, with the younger ones, follow their interests firstly, one of mine has suddenly become interested in tractors, so ive got the farm set out, we use the tractor in paint to make makes on paper, read books with tractors in etc... Dont try to think too deeply about it. Just follow their lead and go with it.
Hth xxxx:)