PDA

View Full Version : Registering with ico

JCrakers
17-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I need to sort this out.:blush: i know ive been lax and need to do it. I've been on the website but it says if I don't store information on my computer/laptop etc then I don't need to continue.

Do I need to register with the ico if I take photos with my camera and stick them onto a memory stick?
So I'm not storing them on my laptop but they are all on a memory stick.

I don't need them on my laptop but do need to print them and also need to show ofsted. I have a digital photo frame that I put the memory stick into which then shows the pictures. Then when ofsted have been I just keep them on the memory stick

Any ideas before I contact them?

2kidsunder5
17-10-2012, 11:17 AM
You need to register if you use any type of digital media i.e. digital camera. I rang them when I registered as it was far to complicated to do on my own. They will talk you through it :)

JCrakers
17-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Ah ok... :D

This is what I don't get. If I had an old fashioned film camera or even a disposable camera then I would take it to boots to get it developed and the pictures would be seen by whoever develops them.
Weird isn't it

I will get onto it ASAP

2kidsunder5
17-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I think it's just another way of making money to be honest. What does it actually do for us? We have parents permission to take photo's etc. Proper bugs me :angry: Ok, getting off the old soap box now :)

eddie
17-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Bugs me too - yet another expense.... I did it last year, bit the bullet and did it. :D

Mrs Scrubbit
17-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Totally agree ,they is no way of knowing who or even how many people get to see the pics taken this way they could even take copies -just pure madness x

2kidsunder5
17-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Ah ok... :D

This is what I don't get. If I had an old fashioned film camera or even a disposable camera then I would take it to boots to get it developed and the pictures would be seen by whoever develops them.

I have it in my policy that I won't use any third parties to develop photo's. I only ever print them myself at home :D

ajc
17-10-2012, 12:11 PM
We had the same discussion this morning at group, no-one minds paying the fee to register and then paying a smaller fee to stay registered, but why £35per year, just seems like another money making racket and we are an easy target.

sweets
17-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I am not registered with them and neither are any mindrs in my area!

Only ever heard of them though this forum, never been mentioned by ofsted or development workers.

They do nothing so whats the point of giving them £35 a year!

jackie 7
17-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I am having discussions with other cm's about this. They say they have never heard of the ico and it is not required by ofsted. is there anywhere official that says we need to register? Also can't find them on web!

2kidsunder5
17-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I spoke to Ofsted about it a good while ago. It is not a requirement of Ofsted or the EYFS. It is however a government requirement that anyone who holds or uses digital information on another person must be registered :angry:

Data Protection and Freedom of Information advice - ICO (http://www.ico.gov.uk)

wendywu
17-10-2012, 02:20 PM
So it is a yearly fee then not a one off payment. Do you get a certificate to prove you have done it. I must admit that none of the minders i know have registered. :rolleyes:

2kidsunder5
17-10-2012, 02:28 PM
So it is a yearly fee then not a one off payment. Do you get a certificate to prove you have done it. I must admit that none of the minders i know have registered. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah :D You get a "Register Entry Report" about 3 pages long. It is an annual thing, you need to renew every year.

kat27
17-10-2012, 07:52 PM
I have recently registered with them, I had my inspection 3 weeks ago and my inspector did ask if i was registered. She said it wasn't an OFSTED requirement but she did ask me about it in conversation x

Tatjana
18-10-2012, 01:36 PM
I spoke to Ofsted about it a good while ago. It is not a requirement of Ofsted or the EYFS. It is however a government requirement that anyone who holds or uses digital information on another person must be registered :angry:

Data Protection and Freedom of Information advice - ICO (http://www.ico.gov.uk)

So the entire country needs to register then...unless they only take pictures of themselves?!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I would LOVE to know how paying £35 a year protects anything.

ETA; if it's not an Ofsted requirement, who exactly will be knocking on our doors to ask if we have it?

Tatjana
18-10-2012, 01:38 PM
I have recently registered with them, I had my inspection 3 weeks ago and my inspector did ask if i was registered. She said it wasn't an OFSTED requirement but she did ask me about it in conversation x

Then really she shouldn't be asking, just like she wouldn't ask to see contracts or accounts books.:panic:

kat27
18-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Well I did think that in hindsight, But I was so stressed with it being my first inspection and with my lo playing up I didn't think about it at the time, I just answered her to be honest lol