PDA

View Full Version : tactfully tell parents i have a life outside work?!

dusky777
16-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Help....Its becoming more and more a problem that parents are not respecting my 5 oclock finishes and recently 8am starts!!
How do i tactfully tell parents that i have a life outside of work and that even though this is my work place its also my home and AM im getting my children ready PM they need there tea!! Im just really struggling to word it in my news letter

I know why its happening as i have taken on a little on temp and he comes before 8 (about 7.50) and pick up is normally after 5 but they pay for it! im guessing others have noticed and think its ok....but tonight i said id pick my neices up from after school club and at 5.20 i still had 2 los! Everyone had coats and shoes on as i had to leave. I had just got the pram out to walk round when parents turned up. Im then made to feel like im the problem ARGH!!!!

I charge a late fee of £5 per 15 mins which will be invoiced for but i really hate doing it! You would think this would put them off?!

Thanks in advance for your advise

sarah707
16-10-2012, 06:07 PM
2 ways to go - either tell them that you close at xx o'clock and put up your late fees... or ask them if they want to change their contracted hours.

I suppose it depends on whether you are happy enough to work later or not.

We are open to 6 because it suits us - but then we all eat together so nobody is waiting for their tea.

You have to do what is right for you and your family :D

mrs robbie williams
16-10-2012, 06:08 PM
its hard but i think you need to say something - maybe along the lines of i have now changed my working hours to xxx and can be available from these times if you wish to change your contracted times, obviously my hourly rate will still apply and even if collection is before the hour that you will still charge?

mushpea
16-10-2012, 06:44 PM
It shouldnt matter what time you close for the evnings, unless a genuine reason ie traffic or accidents, parents should be on time,, i have some children go at 1.30pm and some go at 5pm but if they are late they get charged for it as I expect them to be gone by this time. I will be working till 8pm twice a week by the end of november and i would not expect the other parents to be taking advantage of this unless they change their contracts.
I would invoice them for the late fees and say to them that you have charged them late fees this week/month due to them being late on several occasions and that due to family commitments you would appriciate them being on time.

tamsin
16-10-2012, 07:01 PM
If you are happy to work latter if paid, ask them if they want to swap hours... eg I noticed you've been arriving a little later on some days, it makes it tricky for me to plan things after work as I'm not sure when they'll go home so I was wondering if you'd like to adjust your contracted hours?

I would raise it face to face without them though, not in a general newsletter.

loocyloo
16-10-2012, 08:38 PM
i have a mum who is chronically bad with time keeping! i've decided to just accept it! ( my mum is the same and i spent 30 yrs being upset about it, until i decided to move on! i just tell my mum she has to be somewhere much earlier than she does :rolleyes: and/or expect her to be late! ) this mum usually arrives within 10mins of set times and if i NEED her to arrive/collect on time, i text her night before/during the day to remind her! it works, it does bug me, but equally, i know she never sets out to be late, just life waylays her!

today i text her at lunchtime to say i needed to get away promptly at pick up as had to take half the football team out, and she managed to arrive on time, typically though, DH arrived home earlier than expected, so he took the boys! :rolleyes:

maisiemog
17-10-2012, 07:47 AM
I have one parent who is often late. I just charge her for it. I know that it's the nature of her job that means her hours can Beverly unpredictable. I've just learnt to tell her when I can't have the kids picked up late! She knows that Thursday finish is nonnegotiable as I go out at bang on 6pm and want to get sorted first! It does bug me at times, especially on the days when she should be here at 5.45pm and picks em up at 7.30ish.

eddie
17-10-2012, 10:02 AM
I have had this in the past and a few charges for lateness stops it fairly quickly! I am lenient, I know sometimes traffic is bad etc so wait until they are more than 5 mins before mentioning it but I had one who was continually early dropping and late collecting, even 15 mins either end meant almost nearly 3 hours a week free childcare so I had to stop it.

Lana10
17-10-2012, 10:34 AM
All good advice,I would speak to the parents face to face too

dusky777
18-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone.
They all know im happy to work late if required but this must be arranged in advance. I just feel they think they can come and go as they please with no consideration for me or my family and its getting very annoying....especially when i know one finished at 3.30 2 days a week!!

This morning i had one parent say....hopefully wont need to after 5 tonight but might do ill let you know! It this attitude of them thinking im just there at there becon call thats so annoying, lucky i dont have plans tonight so its ok.

Anyway off to write another rant now!!

jillplum
18-10-2012, 08:58 AM
I try to avoid late charges as that seems to make the parents think they can then be late as they are paying you. I just want them to come on time which they do. in fact most pick up earlier which is even better lol

KLF
18-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm a relatively new childminder and had my first problem with this recently. I have agreed to take on one child from 8am - (all of the others are from later on) - the mum is consistently early. I came down last week at 7.45am from drying my hair to find her sitting in my kitchen with her little one. Admittedly my child had opened the door to her, without her ringing the bell, seeing her coming up the drive. (Strong words were had about that too). Subsequent weeks were 7.50am both times. That time is needed by me to get my son ready for school, sort out packed lunches etc before mindees arrive.

Then recently she came to pick up her son, actually 5 mins before the allotted time but then said she had to wait for her friend to pick her up and sat there for half an hour while I was giving all the other children their tea. She doesn't seem to have the same boundaries as most and I don't really know how to approach it. All of my other families drop off and pick up at the front door, rarely setting foot in the house any further than the hallway.... Any solutions?

k1rstie
18-10-2012, 01:22 PM
As Mushpea says, just because child A has a later endtime than another B, it doesnt mean child B can start using that time too.

I agree with the other writer who does not like late fees - it does make it acceptable, when the parent is happy to pay it.

It is so annoying when they are late, as we all have our own childrens who have to be at Guides, Brownies, Scouts, swimming etc, and even 5 minutes late can be really annoying. Cos you are definatly going to be late (again!!!)

When the parents are early in the morning, I normally make a loud comment about them being the first one here, and beating child x or y

Pipsqueak
18-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm a relatively new childminder and had my first problem with this recently. I have agreed to take on one child from 8am - (all of the others are from later on) - the mum is consistently early. I came down last week at 7.45am from drying my hair to find her sitting in my kitchen with her little one. Admittedly my child had opened the door to her, without her ringing the bell, seeing her coming up the drive. (Strong words were had about that too). Subsequent weeks were 7.50am both times. That time is needed by me to get my son ready for school, sort out packed lunches etc before mindees arrive.

Then recently she came to pick up her son, actually 5 mins before the allotted time but then said she had to wait for her friend to pick her up and sat there for half an hour while I was giving all the other children their tea. She doesn't seem to have the same boundaries as most and I don't really know how to approach it. All of my other families drop off and pick up at the front door, rarely setting foot in the house any further than the hallway.... Any solutions?

yes head on I'm afraid -if you need to blame ofsted, insurance or your husband if necessary but I would just say that you notice she is becming increasing early and does she need to change her times (and charge her royally if she does for 'unsocial' hours) and also I would point out that you cannot allow her to wait in your house as it disturbs the routines etc.
You will probably have to be blunt.. be there done it!

KLF
18-10-2012, 04:04 PM
yes head on I'm afraid -if you need to blame ofsted, insurance or your husband if necessary but I would just say that you notice she is becming increasing early and does she need to change her times (and charge her royally if she does for 'unsocial' hours) and also I would point out that you cannot allow her to wait in your house as it disturbs the routines etc.
You will probably have to be blunt.. be there done it!

Thanks - think I am guilty of trying to be too nice and keeping everyone happy. Need to get tough! She also sent her child when he wasn't very well. I only knew once the calpol wore off!

dusky777
23-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks - think I am guilty of trying to be too nice and keeping everyone happy. Need to get tough! She also sent her child when he wasn't very well. I only knew once the calpol wore off!

Im definatlely guilt of being too nice and trying to keep everyone happy...and i have been in the calpol suitation may times including today and suprise suprise i cant get hold of mum!!! I think they do take a lot of libertys. Most nurserys wont let children in with coughs and sneezes round my part but they ahve all happily come and spread there germs round here!! Mum in question this morning said i wasnt going to send her but i noticed all the others coming in with coughs and colds!!!

toddlers896
23-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Have you thought of doing a newsletter or perhaps you could type off a note and put it in the daily diary.
Ime a chicken, i can never say anything face to face so if i want to point anything out i do it in my newsletter
eg sickness reminder, opening times!!!:laughing: