PDA

View Full Version : If you signed the peition please **LOOK**

Pipsqueak
16-10-2012, 01:32 PM
The anti-dereg petition : Penny Webb (who took over the petition from the original organiser) has posted on Facebook Group 'Say No to Childminder Deregulation' the following:

Ok folks - I need some feedback from you all - as I have said a trillion times the petition / campaign is not mine (and as you know I took over lead from Debbie).

Anyway I have been in touch with John from Change.org to discuss what we do now. We have two choices
1. We keep the campaign open - and wait to see what unfolds next.
2. We close the petition and claim victory. We email all of our supporters to tell them and to provide the link to the telegraph article (as evidence of our victory) BUT also tell our supporters that we are keeping our eye on things and will not hesitate to start a new petition if needed

Option 2 gets my vote because that way if we need to launch a new petition we can focus it on whatever the issues are at that time - BUT it is not my decision - we will go with the majority vote.

I would especially welcome input from those who were members of the online forum and who were involved in starting the petition and promoting it

please give your feedback/views please....
(here or on FB)

loocyloo
16-10-2012, 01:44 PM
i think option 2!

i think we've probably reached the limit of where we can/what we can with the first option, and having read the article in the telegraph, it does sound as though we have been listened to!

then, if we need to start a new petition, we can go for it, and should hopefully already have a 'bank' of people to support us again, whatever we need support with.

xxx

Jo Jo
16-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Option 2 then we have a back up to start a second petition if need be :)

lozzy23
16-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Have to agree option 2 sounds the right way to go:thumbsup:

mama2three
16-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Option 2 , if only to bring the petition back to the forefront and re- publicise ( if thats even a word , you get my jist!)

Pipsqueak
16-10-2012, 02:48 PM
thanks for the input .. keep it coming ladies and gents.

feel free to post over on FB group but for those of you who aren't over there I will pass on your comments :thumbsup:

sarah707
16-10-2012, 05:13 PM
To quote an email I sent about this to someone this morning -

I think it would be foolish to become complacent.

If you read the wording carefully she is saying ‘We are looking at how...’ we can facilitate these things – not that policy has been decided!!

She is a very clever lady and it would be a mistake to underestimate her...

:D

miffy
16-10-2012, 05:18 PM
I think it would be a mistake to close the petition on the strength of one newspaper article.

Perhaps we should be addressing Ms Truss directly (as was done before) and asking her what her current thinking is before a decision is made on the future of the current petition.

Miffy xx

Donkey
16-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I agree, option 1

a newspaper article can not be claimed as a victory.... I sense pacification................................

if she was trying to placate us any more she would be handing us dummies and putting us all down for a nap.........

Paulab
16-10-2012, 06:23 PM
I agree option 1, until there is solid proof x

VeggieSausage
16-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Option 1....Telegraph is a Tory newspaper remember and will support Truss and her cronies and give them a voice,doesn't mean a victory I don't think yet....

francinejayne
16-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Option 1 also!

Pipsqueak
16-10-2012, 08:14 PM
keep the views going peeps - thank you xx

Heaven Scent
16-10-2012, 08:27 PM
I agree too Option 1

samb
16-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Option 1 for the time being - surely if there are other things that come up then other petitions can be started without having to close the first?

The Juggler
16-10-2012, 10:34 PM
i think we should take the petition (as it is now) with a lsit of signatories to downing street or to Ms Truss via a local MP (I have Paul Burstow here in my borogh) and he is very amenable to most things) or take it ourselves

I don't trust her as far as I can throw her (and I'd love to). So first she wants to increase ratios to make childcare cheaper and now she's banging on about quality and qualifications - doesn't add up

Pipsqueak
17-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Hi everyone - thanks for your input - keep it coming.

This is a message from Penny - she can view the thread but as she is not a member over here she has asked me to post this reply on her behalf:

I would like to thank members of the forum for their views - and they are swinging the vote a bit - but option 2 is still the most popular. I would just like to point out that the bit that we are talking about is the fact that we are to remain registered as individuals under Ofsted - that is now a fact -( unless they do a U turn). The rest is all still undecided and there maybe some things that we will need to campaign about- and we will - but the wording of the old petition is now not valid. We will need a new petition to make sure our issues are understand and not confused with the points in the old petition.We can start a new petition at any time - tomorrow, next week or when ever we have Truss's proposals. Please reassure people that over we may have a victory on this point - we will not be taking our eye of things and are just reforming and sorting our tactics ready for the next battle.

****** - I am not sure if you are able to copy and paste this - but if you can please do - or if not can you summarise for me. Thanks Penny
PS: Oh forgot -the relevant bit from the article - Ofsted will still inspect individual childminders. The underlying philosophy is similar to the Government’s school reforms: trusting local leaders to deliver, giving them flexibility, and making them accountable with strong safeguards.

smartbear
02-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Hi all - am meeting with Elizabeth Truss along with 12 other local reps of different EY sectors - any messages?!

The Juggler
02-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi all - am meeting with Elizabeth Truss along with 12 other local reps of different EY sectors - any messages?!

brilliant. Yes, tell her we want to be individual self employed people and do NOT want to belong to any agencies to whom we give money. If they want to provide better support and training through LA development officers who are suitably qualified that would be lovely but otherwise, leave us alone.

well not in those words but you get my drift.

good luck at the meeting. feedback please. :thumbsup:

desiderata
02-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Well done to get to a meeting !! I agree with the above, we dont need any changes, I am sure we are all happy with the normal ratios of children as I feel too many and it is impossible to cope with their needs. We want to keep our individual inspections and not pay agencies , in other words LEAVE US ALONE !!! xx good luck xx