PDA

View Full Version : Change mat protocol?

lucyD
16-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Is it worth buying disposable change mats for hygiene or do you use disinfectant wipes etc....what works best for you and what do Ofsted like to see?

jillplum
16-10-2012, 09:34 AM
IHave a change mat for each child and use disinfectant wipes. ofsted were happy with this.

QualityCare
16-10-2012, 09:54 AM
I use 1 changing mat wiped with disinfectant spray after use but l always cover it with kitchen roll (like drs consulting bed) for each child.

Mouse
16-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Up until recently I have only had one changing mat. I used it for all the children & wiped it down with Detol anti-bac wipes after each change.

Someone has now given me another mat, so I alternate them. No real reason really, other than because I have 2! If I only have 2 children here in nappies I will use one mat each, still using anti-bac wipes between each change. If I have 3 or 4 children here in nappies I use either mat, although do tend to use one for dirty nappies & one for wet ones. Again, there's no real reason for it other than I might as well use 2 mats as I've got them!

Ofsted have always been happy when I had just the one mat :thumbsup:

chriss
16-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Also do you use disposable gloves as you are dealing with body fluids, there must be some rules /regulations about this somewhere .

singlewiththree
16-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I have 1 mat and use a disinfectant wipe after each child ofsted were fine with that last time.

Poppet1
16-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Ofsted advised me at my initial inspection that wiping the changing mat with disinfectant is enough as long as you don't put the next child onto it when it is still wet. My children often come with their own changing bags which have a foldable change mat in them so I use their own where possible.
:clapping:

moggy
16-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Also do you use disposable gloves as you are dealing with body fluids, there must be some rules /regulations about this somewhere .

No, there is no rule about this so it is up to you. Some swear by gloves, some don't. (There are looong threads on this somewhere!) I don't like them, I think they are wasteful and damaging for the environment so I don't use them and Ofsted have no problem with that as long as you wash hands.

singlewiththree
16-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I wear gloves as I have eczema on my hands and don't want to get stuff in it :(

Muffin
16-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I have a different changing mat, a thin travel type one, for each child and disinfect after each use :)

singingcactus
16-10-2012, 12:26 PM
I have a vinyl mat for each child. I wipe it down once they've used it and put it away. I use gloves, like a previous poster I have eczema and it hurts and bleeds if I use baby wipes, or creams etc, so for hygeine and comfort gloves are the way in this house.

Mrs Scrubbit
16-10-2012, 12:31 PM
one for each child, ani-bac sprayed after each use I also prefer to wear gloves x

lucyD
16-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Fab, thanks ladies. Yes I do use gloves as like others have said I get eczema too & find it more hygienic! I currently have one mat & wipe with milton wipes after use so that should be fine. I like the idea of having a spare so may get a cheapy one...cheers

eddie
16-10-2012, 03:01 PM
One mat - wipes or spray between each change. I don't like gloves personally as I think it feels a little impersonal for the LO but that's just my opinion. I always wash hands well.

I just make sure the mat isn't showing any signs of ageing ie holes etc as germs can lurk in these bits so I just bin it when it gets a bit manky.

Boris
16-10-2012, 05:34 PM
One mat for us too. Cleaned with anti-bac spray and tissue between changes. I use gloves too as there's nothing worse than a nail-full of poop!!

miffy
16-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I bought changing mats from the pound shop for each child. They fold and are stored with each child's nappies, wipes etc in their own box. It works for me and each child knows which is their mat.

Miffy xx

Daisy1956
16-10-2012, 07:38 PM
I use one mat wiped after each use with anti-bac wipes. Ofsted were ok with it at my last inspection.

jackie 7
17-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I use disposable mats for each child but Gompels has incontinance bed pads which are not much money and I will try them out. I get my gloves from them as well. Best price I have ever found.

Lana10
17-10-2012, 12:50 PM
I have one mat,I wipe it down with detail anti bacterial spray and kitchen paper.I also wear gloves too.

Lana10
17-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Sighs at auto correct that's actually dettol spray:laughing:

kat27
17-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I use one mat, with dettol wipes or spray. I do personally wear gloves, used to work in a hospital so something i'm used to and prefer to be honest.
I childminder I know got pulled up for keeping her change mat in the bathroom (Which is where she changes the children) Mrs O wasnt to happy with that xx

lisbet
23-10-2012, 08:22 AM
I use one mat, with dettol wipes or spray. I do personally wear gloves, used to work in a hospital so something i'm used to and prefer to be honest.
I childminder I know got pulled up for keeping her change mat in the bathroom (Which is where she changes the children) Mrs O wasnt to happy with that xx

Hi, I'm pre-reg so reading lots of threads and learning a lot. :)

I'm now wondering where you keep your change mats?

When my own children were small I had one on the top of a chest of drawers in a bedroom, but was thinking it would work better to change nappies downstairs when I'm minding.

I have a downstairs loo that I could just about squeeze into to change a nappy, but of course it's small, with no natural light, so I'm not sure little ones would like it much. I would store the mat leaning up against the wall.

The other option is to change them in the sitting room and keep a mat underneath the sofa pushed right back where short arms can't reach.

Would Ofsted be okay with either of these?

scottishlass
23-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I am still pre-reg too, at my pre-reg inspection I was told that gloves were a MUST and that I have to change nappies upstairs in the loo (dont have downstairs toilet) I never thought to ask about where to store the mats though. Am in Scotland and we do seem to have some different rules though :)

kat27
23-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I keep mine in the back room under the sofa pushed right back. Thats the only place i could think of that wasn't in the bathroom. Ofsted saw me get it and put it back (Obviously after it was sanitized lol) She was fine with that. I just ensured i didn't change the Lo's nappy infront of her for the child's dignity. x

Pipsqueak
23-10-2012, 05:01 PM
personally I set fire to my change mat after every use... totally sterilising it with heat!!

lisbet
23-10-2012, 06:33 PM
personally I set fire to my change mat after every use... totally sterilising it with heat!!

:laughing: I shall tell Mrs O a very experienced cm advised me that this was the correct course of action. ;)

Pipsqueak
23-10-2012, 08:21 PM
:laughing: I shall tell Mrs O a very experienced cm advised me that this was the correct course of action. ;)

you might want to replace 'experienced' with insane - same difference though lol :D

The Juggler
23-10-2012, 09:45 PM

i use one mat and wipe with an antibac wipe after each use - simples

rachelle
23-10-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't use anti bac if it's just a wet nappy. Just a baby wipe over the mat. I do put the clean nappy under the child before taking the old one off though - just the way I was taught to do it at my first nursery.

I do clean it if changing a poo.

I have 2 mats - both travel ones. One lives in the changing box, under the coffee table in the front room. The other in the changing bag. They go through the washing machine as needed.

Pull ups get me though - should you get the mat out? Change them with the child standing up? and how do you capture the poo that has slid out of the leg holes because they don't hold much and the child has already had 3 wees?! :D