PDA

View Full Version : Growing paper issue ... please help me find a solution

pinkbutterfly
16-10-2012, 08:18 AM
I have 3 'artists' after school and the same number before. I have a place where I keep pens, crayons, paper etc and it's all freely available for the children. Yesterday evening I counted 50 sheets that where left on the drawing table ... all scribbled on and this morning they managed to use 20 already. They only take one picture home a day (they choice) and say the rest of the scribbles is for recycling. It is starting to drive me potty. Whereas I am happy to support their interests and I'm all for drawing, creating etc ... the waste is not something I can come to terms with. I was thinking of getting only two sheets each for them to use and once it's gone it's gone but then another part of me is saying I shouldn't limit them. Please help...

amirose
16-10-2012, 08:23 AM
What about some mini whiteboards you can get them in the £1 shop or chalk boards, etcha sketches etc
Mark making doesn't have to purely be on paper :)

QualityCare
16-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Could you buy some chalk boards and a selection of coloured chalks and have those out a couple of nights, its very difficult when they are creating and 'wasting' paper maybe you could give each child 2/3 sheets each with a draw a picture to take home and use both sides of the other piece for something else message. Do you buy the cheapest printer paper for drawing on l do and keep the coloured paper for painting, craft etc with daytime mindees.

appleblossom
16-10-2012, 09:38 AM
I have megasketchers as well. These are popular and don't cause waste!

I don't have the good quality drawing paper readily accessible. The 3 year old I look after likes lots of scribbling and is happy to have a pile of A5 size paper which is old A4 sheets which have been printed with stuff on one side; for example I have recently updated all my policies so cleared the old ones out of my portfolio. These were cut in half and put in the "scribbling paper" box. I use it for shopping lists, writing reminders etc. so the children see this and want to do the same.

SarahJellybean
16-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I am going to use scrap paper, eg my hubby printer the old eyfs for me at work before i went on my registration course, so i don't need any of that now also any other old stuff i printed but didn't need will be going in the scrap paper tray.

Bevbeetle
16-10-2012, 10:34 AM
i use wallpaper lining paper also i go into my wallpaper shop they give me all the old samples they dont use its brill they cut it out or draw on the plain side i know what you mean about wasting paper drives me mad too:angry:

Tealady
16-10-2012, 11:22 AM
If it's scribbled/drawn on one side but blank the other then it goes back into the paper tray for use again. Doesn't get topped up again until all sides are used.

dawn100
16-10-2012, 11:24 AM
My 3 dd has mini whiteboards which were a present I have now bought a pack of mini whiteboard markers made by crayola and are washable as not all whiteboard pens are. She has several whiteboards and usborne wipe clean activity cards some get 'saved' for a day or two but most she enjoys to wipe clean herself. Great for out and about (like when watching big brothers football on weekends) and saves huge amounts of paper!

blue bear
16-10-2012, 11:32 AM
I have out a small amount of paper, mostly scrap stuff with a few nice sheets plus I laminated some printing paper, these are very popular, they write on with felt pens and wipe off to start again, we take a photo of any particular special creations on the laminated sheets.

Pipsqueak
16-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I have some 'artists' too and they go through paper like i don't know what...

solved the 'problem' by limiting how much paper was out,
chalk and white boards and the megasketchers

oh and much of it they had to take home.... - parents soon said 'no more'

VeggieSausage
16-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I put out old boxes to draw on - such as cereal boxes etc, sometimes opened up and sometimes as a box, toilet rolls, and newspaper.....everyone thinks its brilliant!:laughing:

eddie
16-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Aqua draw mats are a good investment as well as its just water and it dries out. We also use scrap paper, cereal boxes, ask for parent donations (ie the old style computer listing paper was donated by one of my parents and has kept me going for months :laughing:). When its nice we draw on the patio - chalks or water- and if I'm not feeling too OCD with cleaning we use the windows to paint/draw on (special window markers I hasten to add!!).

And when the LO's use paper we always use both sides.

lisa1968
18-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I have stacks of scrap paper-old policies,other things Ive printed off etc.One of my parents even gave me a box of A5 leaflets that were blank on the back and the children love it! I don't mind so much if it ends up in the recycling then!!

sarah707
19-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Ask the parents - one of my dads brought in lots of old calendars from work they were just going to recycle. I tore them up and got enough paper for a few months! :D

gegele
19-10-2012, 09:43 AM
ask parent if they have pare from work, one of my parent brought some in it helps.

i use cheap paper
i limit the amount accessible or my DD can go through the lot! I give them 10 they use 10 i give them 25 they use 25!!
I cut some in 2 and staple them so biggen can do books.