PDA

View Full Version : conjuctivitus

Straws
19-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi all one of my little ones has got conjuctivitus, how long should they stay at home for is there a exculsion period?

Straws x

foxy lady
19-06-2008, 12:30 PM
i always say 24 hours after treatment began

jayne
19-06-2008, 12:35 PM
one of my minded children also has this and the doctor as told mum 48hrs after the weeping as stopped

chubbymummy
19-06-2008, 12:52 PM
according to health protection agency they say not to exclude

i have to say though that this would make me uncomfortable and would say 48 hours myself

it's your house and business so it's your rules..... as others keep saying.

disney
19-06-2008, 12:58 PM
i have a exclusion form and it says that your child should stay off untill the infection is no longer present . im sorry for your child :( its not very nice is it x

mrsb
19-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I can't believe the health protection agency says not to exclude:eek: conjunctivitis spreads like wildfire through children (and adults):( I personally exclude children until they have no more discharge at all.

miffy
19-06-2008, 07:11 PM
It really is a stupid rule to say you can't exclude

I'm afraid I always exclude as it is so catching and painful if you do get it.
Like mrsb I say until there is no more discharge.

miffy xx

ChocolateChip
19-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I took my advice from school which is to exclude for 24hrs after starting the drops, although if they were really weepy I think I'd exclude them for longer.

miss muffit
20-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Are development worker says you can’t exclude a child as long as its being treated ...i'm afraid i don’t agree,

why is it now ok to except a child with conjunctivitis, when we were always told it was very contagious, beats me !! :rolleyes:

susi513
20-06-2008, 10:44 AM
The HPA is guidance and not law - you can choose not to follow it. I don't agree with your Development Worker either, Miss Muffit. Its not discrimination to exclude a child in order to protect the health of the other children in your care. If it was allergic conjunctivitis and there was no possible risk to mindees it might be a different matter.

We are not doctors and we do not get given letters/notes from qualified doctors to help us make an informed decision whether or not to accept a child. Parents visiting different doctors come back and give us different advice they have apparently been given. (I have one that always says doctor says he's fine - he always gets the "mild" version of whatever he's got). We have no way of knowing exactly what the doctor did say at the time, we rely on what the parents remember. Therefore, to meet National Standards/EYFS, and provide a healthy environment to all mindees and their families/visitors to our business, we must err on the side of caution and exclude a child where there is a possiblity of risk to others. JMHO

DH was once required to provide a note from his GP to confirm he was able to return to work. It would be helpful if we could insist on something similar !

miss muffit
20-06-2008, 02:04 PM
I agree with you,susi513 we dont know what the doctors have told the parent,

if only the doctors could write us a note :D

In my eyes (excuse the pun!) a child with conjunctivitis is contagious to me