PDA

View Full Version : Safety

newadventure
19-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help. What type of things are you asked to look at regards safety?

I know about the sockets and cupboard locks (do I need cupboard looks on every cupboard?)

If there is a room I dont want to register does it need a lock on the door?

What about ornament and photos etc do I have to put them all away?

Sorry to ask so many questions Im just trying to get everything straight in my mind.

Im booked onto the firstaid and the 1st part of childminding course Would you advise doing an eyfs course during or after the above.

Thank you for your help in advance xx

Pipsqueak
19-06-2008, 12:44 PM
You ideally need to look at your home from a babys (crawling/mobile), toddlers, older childs point of view.

You have mentioned the general things - sockets, stairgates etc.

Cupboard locks are also a good idea. Mioving household chemicals including shampoo, deodarants etc out the way/into cupboard, can the children open/shut the doors - wedges, front door?, bins, pet bowls, plants in the garden - soft landings, safe secure fences etc.
Go through each room/garden section one bit at a time.

In time you will need to consider for example older children may get the small parts lego out or marbles and you have a young mobile baby present.

Pipsqueak
19-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Photos are nice to have about, ornaments within reason I suppose but my view is children have to learn not to touch what is not theirs as well.

As for courses - just get on as many as you can fit in as soon as possible. Get it out the way with:D

Sorry I'm probably niot much help:blush:

newadventure
19-06-2008, 12:54 PM
You have been a great help you have given me loads of ideas to think about which I had not even considered.

Thank you for that

I live in a terraced house and dont have a gate. I have a 6ft fence all round so I think that should be ok? But I do have 2 wheelie bins outside my door would that be an issue?

My front door has a yale lock and the latch is up high so I think that will be ok. But as for my inner doors I think they could open them easily would I need to wedge them open?
Do I need a stair gate over the kitchen door?

Thanks again

christine e
19-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Things like:
Trailing cables,
Where you store sharp knives
Where you store alcohol
Fridge temp
Low level glass should be safety glass
No table cloths
Roller blind/vertical blind string pulls
Locked doors/ keys available in an emergency
Cothes lines in garden (not too low)
Locked sheds
TV safety (couldn't be pulled over)
Radiators not too hot
Fireguards
Toys/equipment conforms to safety standards

Ooh I'm going on a bit here
hope this helps
Christine

sarah707
19-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I live in a terraced house and dont have a gate.

If children are playing in the yard there needs to be a gate - if it's the front and they won't play out there then i don't see a problem

I do have 2 wheelie bins outside my door would that be an issue?

Mine are out of the way on the drive but I know it's a problem if you haven't got much space - you would need to show that you've thought of the problem and keep them tucked away

My front door has a yale lock and the latch is up high so I think that will be ok. But as for my inner doors I think they could open them easily would I need to wedge them open?

Mine have a wedge to keep them open and a plastic hook thing to stop the door fully closing and fingers being caught

Do I need a stair gate over the kitchen door?

Depends if you intend to keep it closed off. Mine is open as it's a through route to the loo but children (even babies) learn not to go in there without me by patient, constant supervision

Thanks again

Hope this helps! How far along are you with registering now? :D

newadventure
19-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Thank you all for your help its greaty appreciated it has definatly given me lots of food for thought.

Sarah, Im not very far at all to be honest I have been to the briefing session 2 weeks ago. I have a lady from early years coming on friday to give me some pointers before I send off my forms to ofsted. I just want to show that I have thought of everything so I can ask relevant questions so Im organised when ofsted come to visit me. I have booked myself onto all the relevant courses. So hopefully after friday I can send off the forms and the process can begin.

Im just finding it hard to know where to start my son is now 8 and its been along time since I had to childproof my house. I do have a small niece and nephew but its different because with your own children you tell them know and teach boundaries but with other peoples children you need all safetly aspects in place.

Thank you once again for your ideas