PDA

View Full Version : Help with ratios

Loolee
15-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi
I am going to going back to childminding after being on maternity leave for the last 9 months. I have someone interested but am unsure whether I would be able to take on her children. The mother wants two days a week for her two children. One is 11 months the other almost 4 yrs old. The eldest is at nursery in the morning so would collect him and have him in the afternoons. Her youngest I would have all day. The problem i see is that I have two children 3 1/2 yrs old and a 10 month old of my own and was told when I was registered I can only have 3 children max. Does anyone know whether this could change if i enquired with my inspector? Also would having 4 children of these ages be within the regs?
Thanks

cathtee
15-10-2012, 07:46 PM
As far as I am aware there is no way to change your maximum number, your registration is for max 3 and that includes your own so you
won't be able to take on 2 lo's.

I'm sure if I have got this wrong someone will put me right

tulip0803
15-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Hi

In the National Minimum Standards the ratios for under 5s in Wales are 3 children under the age of 5 of which no more than 2 may be under 18mths. When a child attends full-time school (mornings and afternoons/ 10 sessions a week) they can be classed as over 5s. The 3 children on your registration certificate normally exclude your own. Mine says 5 children under 8 as the 6th space was for my daughter before she turned 8.

From what you are saying you would have 4 children under 5 years during the afternoons and all day in holidays (2 mindees & your own 2). You could speak to your inspector and see if they would allow a variation but they normally only do this for continuity of care and then they can be hard to get from the CSSIW. They may allow a variation for new business as it is siblings if available childcare is very scarce in your area. The best thing to do is ring your inspector and see what they say.

I was granted a temporary variation for a sibling and had 9mth, 13mth, nearly 3 and a 2 1/2 year old. I found it exhausting because the 9 mth old sibling was a screamer. It was only temporary as the family were moving from the area and I had had the older sibling for 2 years which continued through the maternity period.

It will depend on the temperaments of the children as to how easy and workable it would be.

Loolee
15-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your replies. I do know the children as the eldest is a friend on my eldest. the youngest is a placid baby although I do know this may not always be the case! I know the mother is struggling to find someone who has availability to accommodate both her children within her area. I will contact my inspector and see what they say.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-10-2012, 09:01 PM
With your own children it looks like you can only have school age children until your 3.5 year olds go to school.