PDA

View Full Version : Need advice re: October hols

Carealot
14-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi,
I care for a child of a single parent & do everything I can to help her, down to taking mum to work & fetching her from work & taking her home, she works shifts which vary from week to week, which I'm always available for. The contract states that we will be available for 3 shifts per week, and that is what we are paid for.
School breaks up for the half term on the Thursday, knowing that mum is doing a double shift on the Friday I thought we would make plans to go out (we will have the child from 8.30 am til 9.30 pm).
My husband who is also a registered childminder won tickets to a science museum, so we thought we would go there for the day.
Mum now tells me that grand parents are coming over for the day & would be here until 4pm on said day. Apparently they only visit twice a year and have time alone with the child, which is lovely.

My dilemma is what do I do regards my plans? I've already told her I'm not prepared to be ferrying around that day as my own family are looking forward to the planned day out.
Am I expected to be back by 4pm to be available to take child off grandparents or should I expect mum to arrange alternative childcare for the evening?

QualityCare
14-10-2012, 04:43 PM
How near is the science museum is there any way grandparents would be able to meet you there and drop child off, otherwise l would explain to mum that you had planned this day as an outing because you had her little one all day and cannot change plans now (check husbands ticket doesn't exclude half term) and could she arrange alternative care this time, you do enough for her so hopefully she will help you this once.

The Juggler
14-10-2012, 05:20 PM
personally I would say you are out for the day but will not be back at xxpm and therefore, they could choose to send or not send as convenient to them and the grandparents :thumbsup:

blue bear
14-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Is the child coming to you other days? Can you offer to do the three shifts on other days and someone else do the Friday?

Chimps Childminding
14-10-2012, 07:47 PM
personally I would say you are out for the day but will not be back at xxpm therefore, they could choose to send or not send as convenient to them and the grandparents :thumbsup:

I agree!! Its not fair to mess up your day!!!

Carealot
14-10-2012, 07:55 PM
The ticket only extends to 31st oct but we are away for half term which mum is aware.

We are available for all week but mum has only booked us for the double on Friday & 1 other afternoon/evening.

I'm not sure the grandparents would be prepared to meet us, the science museum isn't that close, I'm not sure where they are coming from, mum knows where we are going or the day, she hasn't mentioned that they could drop the child with us there.

I feel really bad at letting her down but I feel that she has messed my plans up and I had already told her about the ticket and that we would be going that day. I had told her it would be the perfect day to go as we hadn't got to be back until 9.30pm for her finishing work, so there would be no rush & we could really enjoy the day.

I'm always trying to fit everyone else's plans around mine & always work to what I'm asked to do but in this case, I don't want my family to go without either.
I want to still be seen as being professional but aren't we always told that our own family comes first?

Thank you for your feedback x

jane5
15-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Mum knows you have tickets and you are going out for the day. If she has decided to let the grandparents visit on that day then that is up to her but you should not have to change your plans.

I would tell her that you are still out for the day and it is her choice wether to send the child for the day as planned or make other arrangements for the whole of her double shift.

Enjoy your day out.

pinkbutterfly
16-10-2012, 08:27 AM
If she knows you're going out I would tell her the grandparents can collect at whatever time she specified from the place you specify. It seems to me you let her think she can dictate you how you work. It's time to put a stop to it.
I work with my husband as well and we always go out of our way to help the parents but there is a limit we have and we never let anybody cross it. You should put you and your family first.