View Full Version : Advice Please

13-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Hi All

I have a question that I hope someone might help me with. My daughter finishes maternity leave in December, and I am able to care for my grandaughter when she goes back.

She would be entitled to child care money with her job, which I understand is paid as a tax break paid directly to a registered childminder.

For me to receive this money would I have to register as a childminder or is there another route?

Thanks in advance :)

13-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi Grandad welcome to the forum.

To receive either tax credits or vouchers towards childcare costs parents must use a registered childminder or nursery.

The registration process for childminders takes around 3 - 6 months (approx - sometimes longer) and includes a training course, first aid certification, CRB checks, doctors checks and much more.

If you do want to register you would need to contact your local authority and take advice from them.

You cannot be registered with Ofsted to care for family alone - you would also need to commit to actively looking to care for other children.

I hope this helps! :D