PDA

View Full Version : Confusing message from Ofsted

rachelle
12-10-2012, 09:17 PM
I phoned today to nag a little about new certificate and the man on the phone said they are in process of being done but if I wanted to apply to vary my conditions he could do that over the phone. I replied that I had been varying conditions for myself based on the new EYFS guidelines (only once and for continuity) He then said, that's fine, so long as it's not more than 6 children (under 5) and I could prove I can cope. I then asked him if I could regularly have 5 under 5s (I have no intention of doing so) and he said yes, you can have 6 under 5s at all times so long as you feel competent and have equipment.

Thing is I'm not sure he's right. You can't can you? (would you want to?!) Wish they knew what EYFS actually said. I left it without arguing but do wonder how many people are getting wrong advice from Ofsted that will trip them up on their inspection.

Maybe they need a script to follow?!

mum24
12-10-2012, 09:23 PM
I phoned today to nag a little about new certificate and the man on the phone said they are in process of being done but if I wanted to apply to vary my conditions he could do that over the phone. I replied that I had been varying conditions for myself based on the new EYFS guidelines (only once and for continuity) He then said, that's fine, so long as it's not more than 6 children (under 8) and I could prove I can cope. I then asked him if I could regularly have 5 under 8s (I have no intention of doing so) and he said yes, you can have 6 under 8s at all times so long as you feel competent and have equipment.

Thing is I'm not sure he's right. You can't can you? (would you want to?!) Wish they knew what EYFS actually said. I left it without arguing but do wonder how many people are getting wrong advice from Ofsted that will trip them up on their inspection.

Hmm, it is very late now, had a long day, but I am confused - did you mean to say five under 5? Certainly you can have 5 under 8.:)

rachelle
12-10-2012, 09:26 PM
yeah - i did. Bums. Yes 6 under 8 but all can be under 5 was what he said. 6 under 5 would have me a quivering wreck in the corner! Have changed original! Thank you :)

blue bear
12-10-2012, 09:28 PM
nd he said yes, you can have 6 under 8s at all times so long as you feel competent and have equipment.

6 under 8 is normal ratio, 6 under 5 would be for exceptional circumstances and no I do t think I ever would, possibly if they were all age four and in full time school...

cathtee
12-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Hi I have 3 under 5 during the day, then collect 3 rising 5's so I have 6 under 8 in the evening going home at various times
so it is ok as long as your original certificate says 6 under 8 I'm not quite a gibbering reck :laughing:

Tatjana
13-10-2012, 08:35 PM
You can have 6 under 5 when working with an assistant...as long as you have the space and equipment. Maybe that's what he meant?

PixiePetal
13-10-2012, 09:07 PM
6 under 8's is the norm. Having 6 under 5's would be for exceptional circumstances, not the norm.

So it's for continuity of care of current children or siblings but once these are out of the under 5's age range it doesn't mean you can take on a new child to fill the space. 3 under 5's is still the usual ratio - well that's what they told me! Oh, and still max of 6 children

Depends who you speak to on the advice line :rolleyes:

bunyip
14-10-2012, 08:12 AM
If Ofsted told me something I was unsure of over the phone, I'd probably email for confirmation.

Their email replies can be a little evasive at times, but at least you get a reply from one of their higher life forms (the type which are capable of using a keyboard.) :rolleyes: