PDA

View Full Version : I cant believe that i have just bought conkers from Ebay!

AgentTink
12-10-2012, 03:30 PM
My little girl loves the idea of conkers so on Sunday me, my partner, my little girl and my friend and her dog went to a local forest to collect conkers. We searched the woods for about a hour and half and we could not find a single conker but we could find their shells. Anyway on the last stretch of the wood my little girl was climbing over a log and she woke up a hornets nest. As you can imagine they were not best pleased. She ended up with 14 stings and was in extreme pain for over a hour. I thought she would be traumatised by the experience but all she has talked about since is going back to get conkers. So i swallowed my pride and actually purchased conkers off ebay :o I would normally laugh at the thought of anybody purchasing anything they can get for free, but I feel my little girl deserves them after her little experience. Anyway 99p plus £2 postage for 20 conkers wasnt that bad, was it :rolleyes:

And as usual while i was on good old ebay i also found these fabulous moss rocks to go with our small world bits and bobs. Artificial Moss Rocks Balls! For Flower Topiary Tree Pots Foliage and Leaves! | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Artificial-Moss-Rocks-Balls-For-Flower-Topiary-Tree-Pots-Foliage-and-Leaves-/251145769586?pt=UK_Home_HomeDecor_Miscellaneous&hash=item3a79745272) so once again more money spent :D

BuggsieMoo
12-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I must have 50 or so conker trees lining the streets around me - great for puncuturing the pram wheels :angry:

We are forever picking them up...

AgentTink
12-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I must have 50 or so conker trees lining the streets around me - great for puncuturing the pram wheels :angry:

We are forever picking them up...

When i was little i can remember loads of conker tree's but now that i want to find them for my little girl i cannot find any!

Have you thought about making a bit of money by selling the conkers.... they could pay for you to get new tyres on your pram :laughing:

loocyloo
12-10-2012, 03:41 PM
i used to walk to school along a very conker strewn road ... BLISS :rolleyes:

now there are only 2 conker tress i know of and lots of children looking for conkers! :( i was driving down a country lane the other week and noticed there were conkers all over the road, so i stopped and picked a pile up ;)

blue bear
12-10-2012, 03:45 PM
You should haveut an appeal in here I would have sent you some, mindees love collecting them and we have loads

Jods
12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
For the geeky bit - 5 years ago our conker trees were hit with a blight disease, and wiped out nearly half of our trees, it reduces the quantity of Conkers produced, and what does grow are malformed small dark conkers x

however bit sad to buy them on ebay (runs away sqealing with laughter!!)

samb
12-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Oh my word your poor (but extremely brave) daughter! I would definitely have bought her some conkers off ebay too!

Do you use the woodland trust site? Here is a link to something your daughter would love... Free conker activity pack (from nature detectives, run by the Woodland Trust) (http://www.naturedetectives.org.uk/download/conker_pack.htm?utm_source=ndnewsoctober2012suppor ters&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nd_chocolateconkers)

jaswinder bedi
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Its sounds very reasonable i think, :). its a shame you could have collected in the woods or parks never mind... .... You did well to bring smile to your daughter. bless...:thumbsup:

Playmate
12-10-2012, 07:43 PM
We went looking for conkers too, but couldn't find any :panic: Would never of thought to by conkers on ebay though. Your poor little girl - so brave!

jane5
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Oh no your poor poor daughter :panic:

I have a phobia of wasps and hornets ect so my heart goes out to her