PDA

View Full Version : North East peeps

linzi133
12-10-2012, 07:25 AM
I have just been on some training....where I actually learn something new! :D

If you are local to the Rising Sun Country Park they have recycling facility where if you pay a yearly membership you can have free reign and take away lots of free goodies to do craft things with. It looks like an aladdins cave of open ended resources!!

House of Objects - Creative recycling - North Tyneside Council (http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/browse-display.shtml?p_ID=224270&p_subjectCategory=812)

House of Objects - Creative recycling - North Tyneside Council (http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/browse-display.shtml?p_ID=516751&p_subjectCategory=812) with photos on this page....

I'm off this morning so I will report back on how good it is and if it is worth the annual membership. Other people said it was very like the Childrens Warehouse (for those of you who remember)....but better!

If you look at the photos you can get a taste of what you can get once you've paid your membership.

Membership is currently £30 per year but is due to go up to £40 per year on the 1st of November!

Has anyone been already??????:)

loocyloo
12-10-2012, 08:26 AM
ooo, i'm in north yorkshire and we went on a training day there a few weeks ago! :clapping:

it is WONDERFUL! :thumbsup:

makes you look at the junk you throw away with new eyes !!! :D they have so much stuff --- litle bottles, lots & lots of small rubber plugs things ... i have a couple of boxes full for hiding things in!!, tubs, tubes, mesh, fabric, bottle tops, old videos .... the tape is just wonderful for playing with in the wind, threading, weaving and all sorts of things! ...ooo the list is endless and what they have in, changes depending upon what they get donated! just remembered, they had rolls of metallic film stuff, i brought some home and have stuck it to trays to make mirror trays :D

have fun, and take a BIG BIG bag !!! ( and another one! ;))

linzi133
12-10-2012, 08:37 AM
ooo...now I'm very excited!!

I'm glad you said take a bag...I was wondering if I would have too!!

I'm just about ready to go...I'l be back soon with the spoils of my labour!!!!

(would an ikea bag be big enough????)

Pipsqueak
12-10-2012, 10:10 AM
I love House of Objects - when we had our Community and CCF network they bought us a collective membership

now a group of us are going to get together and pay for a membership

loocyloo
12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
ooo...now I'm very excited!!

I'm glad you said take a bag...I was wondering if I would have too!!

I'm just about ready to go...I'l be back soon with the spoils of my labour!!!!

(would an ikea bag be big enough????)

i hope your ikea bag was big enough !!!

hope you had fun :D can't wait to hear what you've got! it was a good 1 1/2hrs from where we met up, and that was 1/2hr from me! don't think i can justify membership !!!

we had a big sort out at toddlers this morning and threw out lots of broken toys and bits ... i've collected all the odd wheels, all the 'found' bits for the wooden lift out puzzles that have either lost some or lost their base and a few other bits & pieces to go in a box of 'stuff' for the garden !;) DH is going to go mad when he notices it !!! ;) hopefully he won't! :D

linzi133
12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm back.....but it was a bit of a nightmare!

My DS decided to have a complete meltdown (ASD) which we haven't had for sooo long. He ended up running amok around the room with everyone trying to catch him! (its funny now but at the time it wasn't!)

So I although I joined I didn't get to have a good rummage! I did get some tree branches that had been cut into blocks...(but I need more!!!!!)

And I got the shiny paper you were talking about. My DS took a shine to the polystyrene pellets so we counted some out to bring home. And he took a shine to some lovely dried out twigs...again i need more! And I got some lovely silver rings...again I need more!!!!

I am going to go back when I am child free so I can have a good rummage and put my creative head on! there were some bicycle wheels that I wanted to make weaving things out of but with DS in a dreadful mood I didn't want to get them as I didn't think I'd be able to carry it back to the car. (good job I didn't as he was determined to go back to the park

So not a good experience today but I'm going to go back with a friend and see what I can find. I think its the sort of place you have to keep going to to get good 'stuff'.

I was told today that from the 1st Nov its not going to be council run so there will be your annual charge plus a small charge per bag. The lady wasn't exactly sure how it was going to work but just to warn me.

loocyloo
12-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm back.....but it was a bit of a nightmare!

My DS decided to have a complete meltdown (ASD) which we haven't had for sooo long. He ended up running amok around the room with everyone trying to catch him! (its funny now but at the time it wasn't!)

So I although I joined I didn't get to have a good rummage! I did get some tree branches that had been cut into blocks...(but I need more!!!!!)

And I got the shiny paper you were talking about. My DS took a shine to the polystyrene pellets so we counted some out to bring home. And he took a shine to some lovely dried out twigs...again i need more! And I got some lovely silver rings...again I need more!!!!

I am going to go back when I am child free so I can have a good rummage and put my creative head on! there were some bicycle wheels that I wanted to make weaving things out of but with DS in a dreadful mood I didn't want to get them as I didn't think I'd be able to carry it back to the car. (good job I didn't as he was determined to go back to the park

So not a good experience today but I'm going to go back with a friend and see what I can find. I think its the sort of place you have to keep going to to get good 'stuff'.

I was told today that from the 1st Nov its not going to be council run so there will be your annual charge plus a small charge per bag. The lady wasn't exactly sure how it was going to work but just to warn me.

sorry to hear your DS had a melt down ... but now you've had a look, you can know what to expect when you go next time!

the lady who did our course said that it wasn't going to be council run anymore, but she didn't know how it was going to be run!

xxx

linzi133
12-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I think she said it was going to be a community enterprise...so not too bad. So I think it will be run not for profit.

I'd forgotten what my DS is like in new places...he hasn't had a meltdown for soo long now. I should have thought about it really. It must have been pretty overwhelming for him. I was excited where as he was think OMG!!! I just wan the park and the cafe!!!! ha ha! poor boy. Chance are if I take him again he'll be fine!