PDA

View Full Version : Win a £50 voucher to spend at Artful Dodgers

Richard
11-10-2012, 10:48 AM
We've got 3 £50 vouchers for Artful Dodgers to give away in a fabulous forum
competition.

Artful Dodgers supply a huge range of arts and crafts materials to
nurseries, registered childminders and playgroups and would like to hear how they can help you with you arts and crafts activities.

To enter the competition just answer these 3 questions:

What would you like in an everyday art and craft kit for your childminding
business?

What is your monthly budget for art and craft items?

What are your main concerns (if any) about doing art and craft with
children?

We'll pick 3 lucky winners at random after the closing date of 31st October
2012 and will announce the winners in this thread.

For more information on Artful Dodgers visit their website at
Artful Dodgers - Nursery and Educational Supplies (http://www.artfuldodgers.co.uk)

angeldelight
11-10-2012, 10:50 AM
That looks great Richard

Do members write their answers here?

Angel xx

The Juggler
11-10-2012, 10:50 AM
competition.

nurseries, registered childminders and playgroups and would like to hear how they can help you with you arts and crafts activities.

business?
paper, pva glue, pencils that are sharpened :laughing: crayons and lots of mosaic (cut out) shapes for free crafts
£5-£10

children?
safety of items with small children (babies) joininig in - materials must be non toxic

Artful Dodgers - Nursery and Educational Supplies (http://www.artfuldodgers.co.uk)

ooh how exciting. thanks richard

Bear23
11-10-2012, 10:51 AM
everyday kit - coloured paper, glue, glitter, pom poms, sticky eyes, see through coloured paper ermmmmm
i spend about 50 a month on craft stuff

that the little ones will put it in their mouths x

thanks Richard xx

Richard
11-10-2012, 10:55 AM
That looks great Richard

Do members write their answers here?

Angel xx

Yes please. You just write you answers in a reply to this thread.

Richard :)

eddie
11-10-2012, 11:23 AM
competition.

business?

Pom poms, pre cut collage squares (multi coloured), glue (that is actually sticky), gems, sequins, various coloured paper.

About £10-15, unless there's a big event like Christmas then it might be £15-25

children?

That parents expect a perfect creation when all the kids wanted to do was stick sequins in the glue.

Love a good competition!

jillplum
11-10-2012, 11:52 AM
I would like some good glue that sticks, a big box of assorted collage items. And a huge roll of paper!
I spend about £15 to £20 a month.
Only worry is kids eating craft items and glue.

samb
11-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Kit - Lots of different types of papers from coloured to corrugated, gummed to tissue; glue - pritt stick and pva; small shiny things to stick like sequins; tape - masking and selotape and child safe selotape holder; paints; various writing materials like pencils, crayons and chalks

monthly budget - I usually make 2 big orders a year to stock up they come to approx £70 and then I top up things like glue and pens and specific items such as xmas gift crafts as needed. Around £100 a year

concerns - being accessible without making a huge mess. I often do craft 1:1 and only leave less messy items out for free creativity such as pritt stick and papers or chalks etc

PixiePetal
11-10-2012, 12:12 PM
business?
I would like black/white and coloured card, PVA glue in small squeezy bottles, glue sticks, felt/foam/shiny mosaic pieces for free range crafting, pom poms and wiggly eyes :)

I spend easily £15 -£20 a month - always a bit more than I need in the hope there is some left over to carry on during a lean time in earnings.

children?
Making sure it's all non toxic and can hopefully wash out of clothes/my carpets! - glue/paint always goes a bit further than intended :rolleyes:

Love crafts :):)

loocyloo
11-10-2012, 12:26 PM
What would you like in an everyday art and craft kit for your childminding business?

big sheets of paper, coloured A4 card, selection of collage items - ribbons, pompoms, sequins, straws, goggly eyes, feathers, fabric foil & paper of all different textures & colours and GLUE that sticks and is not too runny!

What is your monthly budget for art and craft items? about £10-15 but i usually do a bulk order at the start of each term for that terms crafts as well as other bits & pieces i pick up on my travels

What are your main concerns (if any) about doing art and craft with children? simple activities that the youngest can do by themselves. i prefer to do 'non directed' art where the doing is much more important than the end product. non toxic paint/crayons/glue and washable as it always goes everywhere!

thank you x

Bevbeetle
11-10-2012, 01:26 PM
What would you like in an everyday art and craft kit for your childminding business?

big sheets of paper, coloured A4 card, selection of collage items - ribbons, pompoms, sequins, straws, goggly eyes, feathers, fabric foil & paper of all different textures & colours and GLUE that sticks and is not too runny!

What is your monthly budget for art and craft items? about £10-15 but i usually do a bulk order at the start of each term for that terms crafts as well as other bits & pieces i pick up on my travels

What are your main concerns (if any) about doing art and craft with children? simple activities that the youngest can do by themselves. i prefer to do 'non directed' art where the doing is much more important than the end product. non toxic paint/crayons/glue and washable as it always goes everywhere!

thank you x

inmy everyday i think i would need glue, scissors, paper, pens, bit and bobs ive collected eg milk top lids, buttons, bits of ribbons

every month i prob spend around £20 i tell my hubby but prob nearer £30

main concern the carpet, the children, the dog, parrot all getting covered lol i love arts and crafts i would do away with all my toys and just have arts and crafts

Tink
11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
business?

Foam shapes, glitter, Feathers, coloured paper, Sequins, paint, glue etc

It depends on our topic but usually between £10 - £20 depending on where I buy it from

children?

I don't have any concerns just like to make sure the children are enjoying what they are doing, having fun and concentrating on the taking part rather than end result:thumbsup:

Roseolivia
11-10-2012, 01:32 PM
competition.

business? Paper, glue, sticky bits, aprons, paint, junk materials

What is your monthly budget for art and craft items? Don't have a budget, just spend what i need to each month
children?The main concern is when they go home messy that the parents are going to complain. I also worry about the younger children trying to eat bits when my back is turned.

I've not heard of this craft company, are they any good?

Pipsqueak
11-10-2012, 01:44 PM
]

business?
Left and right handed scissors - that work, pva glue and glue sticks, blu-tack, crayons and pencils, paper, bits to stick!!!

£10 approx
children?
age range - some children eating the sequins and glue!!! teaching safety ie with (even safety) scissors

thank you:)

ps- I HATE glitter!:D

Mouse
11-10-2012, 01:50 PM
business?

Paint, glue (runny & stick glue), brushes, bits to stick on, paint sponges, crayons, pencils...and glitter, lots & lots of glitter

No set budget. Some months I spend very little, other months I can spend £150 on one order

children?

Finding somewhere to dry it all & wondering how the parents are going to get it home safely

jelly15
11-10-2012, 02:12 PM
* Washable paints that really are washable (dark colours that don't stain nails), brushes with shorter stubby handles (so los don't try to ram them down their throats) and mosaice papers.

* Between twenty and forty pounds

*That art and craft activities are safe and suitable for ages and stages of development.

sarahwinter77
11-10-2012, 02:24 PM
In everyday pack I would like:
different types and coloured and textured papers, glue, crayons, different bits for sticking on, glitter

Monthly budget - Usually about £15 per month, but do allow a little more for special events

Worry about younger children putting bits in there month, need to make sure non toxic items are used.

tulip0803
11-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Thank you Richard & Artful Dodgers:D

What would you like in an everyday art and craft kit for your childminding business? Several small squeezy pots of PVA glue, glue spreaders, glue sticks, tissue paper in lots of colours, A4 coloured, black and white card, Pom Poms, Foam sheets, glitter (fairy dust), sticky tape, wool, string, ribbons, pom poms, felt squares, children's scissors that cut, sequins, wiggly eyes in many sizes, shaped foam stickers, shiny card, washable paints, stubby brushes and paint pads for hand/foot prints.

What is your monthly budget for art and craft items? About £10-20

What are your main concerns (if any) about doing art and craft with children? Parents expecting too much of their children and not appreciating the work that the child has put in to their masterpiece

mama2three
11-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks , great competition!

Must have kit - glue sticks that work! Scissors , lots of card and paper , and as many bits and bobs as we can find - everything from feathers and leaves , buttons , ribbons , material , wool .....paint and crayons

I spend around £10 a month , love to scavenge natural stuff and junk to use too...

Concerns ..well i guess I check that everything is non toxic...and it annoys me that so much you can buy now is meant to 'be' something and i much prefer the kids to do whatever comes from their exploration and imagination.

Samcat
11-10-2012, 04:10 PM
business?
Coloured and textured card, glue, coloured paper, scissors, collage materials.

I spend as I need or see stuff I like!

children?
Clearing up the mess! Checking they don't try to eat it, that parents understand it's the process, not the end product that's important.

jane5
11-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I would like coloured card, glue, feathers, wiggle eyes, Pom poms, foam shapes

I spend about £15 per month

I worry if the paint is t washable as I've sent little ones home with green and blue feet before now.

winstonian
11-10-2012, 06:14 PM
business?
Googly eyes, paint, stampers, coloured card, shiny bits, glue, feathers

£75

children?
Keeping a wide age range happy and content while still being safe

christine e
11-10-2012, 08:35 PM
competition.

business?

What is your monthly budget for art and craft items

children?

Lots of peel off sticky shapes, different coloured and textured card, decent glue sticks, and lots of shiny stuff with glitter

Approx £20

Safety

freckleonear
11-10-2012, 10:49 PM
business?

Crayons, pencils, felt pens, chalks
Ready mixed paint, powder paint, watercolour paint, brushes, sponges
Plain paper, coloured paper, card, tissue paper, felt
Pipe cleaners, pom poms, glitter, sequins, feathers, buttons
Scissors, glue sticks, PVA glue, craft punches

No idea, it varies a lot!

children?

Mess I suppose. The supplies which the children have free access to are fairly mess-free.

Greengrass74
12-10-2012, 06:51 AM
business?

Paint, glitter, glue, brushes, coloured card, pipe cleaners,

£30

children?

Keeping all ages happy

QualityCare
12-10-2012, 09:46 PM
sticky shapes, coloured paper, shapes for rubbing, ready mix paint,shapes for printing, chalks, crayons, scissors,glue, collage materials, overalls
depends, as l buy as needed
none

sillysausage
13-10-2012, 09:47 AM
business?
washable felt pens, gluesticks, assorted self adhesive shapes/stickers, assortment of papers & card (coloured/patterned), glitter, glitter glue, fabric scraps, wool, feathers, googly eyes, pom poms, sequins, paints
On the fun side I would really like a magic cupboard (I think there was one in Harry Potter) where I could shove all the junk modelling stuff, boxes of assorted sizes, plastic tubs etc etc where they took up virtual space rather than real world space. That way I would always have the right things available for a craft mad 6 yr old.

£15 (ish)

children?
No concerns, I just make sure I supervise the youngest ones really well and make sure that small/tiny items are not freely available.

WibbleWobble
13-10-2012, 10:16 AM
business?

lots of textured stuff, glue which sticks and bits of sparkly stuff ribbons etc.

£10-15 a month.....in theory! i am always picking up bits and pieces

children?

I agree parents want fantastic pieces of artwork where all little bob wants to do is rub glue into my table! I worry about little ones putting stuff in their mouth, i have had a toddler who mouths everything!!!!!

love wibble xxxx

Jenna
13-10-2012, 12:47 PM
In a art and craft set i would like - Glue, glitter, children's scissors both left and right handed, card, paper, felt, crayons, pencils, felt pens , paints with pot and brushes and chalks.

I spend between £10 - £20 a month depending on what we're doing but also have a habit of just picking bits up as and when i see them.

The only concerns i sometimes have are my little ones love to put everything in their mouths so need constant supervision and paints, crayons etc need to be toxic free.

debbie1
13-10-2012, 01:53 PM
paints card sponges and brushes

£15 to £20 per month

The safety of the children putting stuff in their mouths

Thank you Richard
Debbie :clapping:

erinjane
15-10-2012, 06:35 PM
business?
paint, paint brushes, paper, pva glue, different coloured glitter, feathers, coloured pencils, pens, coloured card,scissors

£50 aprox

children?

Making sure the equipment the children are using is safe, and that theres plenty to keep them happy!

sarah32
16-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Paint, brushes, coloured paper, small glue pots, spreaders, sequins, feathers, pm poms, scissors

I spend about £10.00 a month

I worry about them eating small things

amandaemma
17-10-2012, 11:20 AM
business?
PVA Glue and good spreaders. Paper multi coloured. Pom poms multi coloured beads feathers and felt.

15-20
children?
Putting the stuff in mouths

Thanks Amanda Paterson

Daisy1956
21-10-2012, 09:47 PM
My ideal craft kit would have glue sticks that work and don't dry up, PVA that really washes off, felt tips in various sizes
to suit all ages. Lots of coloured card and paper, tissue to tear and stick. Lots off sticky shapes and pieces. Shiny and corrugated card. scissors in different sizes, pipe-cleaners, feathers, pom-poms,air dry clay, paint in easy to squeeze bottles and of course a big box to keep it all in.

I do two big orders a year of about £75 to £100 and just top up in between if i run out of anything.

My biggest concern is children eating thing they shouldn't.

gizzybear
27-10-2012, 11:27 PM
all stickable things, eyes, letter foams lolly sticks, paper, glue, stickers glitter, chalk, pens

around 10.00-20.00 a month i try and recycle loads

safety of younger children and the fact that it has to be perfect in some peoples eyes straight and not out of the lines.....:clapping:

mum22
28-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Everyday items: Google eyes, children just can't get enough if then

Av spend : £30 - £50

Worry: Items need to be non toxic

blue bear
28-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Every day kit: dabber paints (in bottles with sponges on) ready mixed paint paint brushes, cars for in paint, stampers, Pva glue, glue sticks, glue spreaders, pencils, felt pens, brio pens, coloured pencils, crayons,lots of stickers, tissue paper, wrapping paper, drawing paper, tracing paper, card of various colours and thickness, scissors,ribbons, greetings cards, glitter,feathers, envelopes, paint rollers,stencils. (I have this lots freely available on the craft table and outside everyday)

Budget -£10 month

Worries, babies having access to choking hazards, things that last outside, drying all the artwork.

Thank you
BB

jules
28-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Default Win a £50 voucher to spend at Artful Dodgers

competition.

business?
Shapes in different colours for sticking (foam is great), paint dabbers, chunky crayons/pencils & lots of paper!!

£10 approx (does increase if there's a topic we're following i.e Christmas, Olympics, Easter)

children?
Little one putting things in their mouths, glue/paints ruining clothes & my home!!

Artful Dodgers - Nursery and Educational Supplies

TNT
28-10-2012, 02:54 PM
business?
lots of different sizes and colours of paper, good quality glue sticks, coloured card, sequins, felt tips, pipe cleaners, feathers, googly eyes, various types of paint.
Between £5 and £10
children?
Mess on the floor as I have a crawling baby, toxicity of products.

k1rstie
28-10-2012, 02:56 PM

business?

inspiration and imagination, and loads of double sided tape

Is my husband watching??? I stock up all the time, and always look for cheap art supplies reduced in Sainsburys, and elsewhere.
I love double sided tape , and buy in loads of rolls at a time when I go the The Works.

Probably spend £25 per month, then there is the laminating sheets...........

children?

Does the child actually get anything out of it!! ? Holding a childs hand, forcing the fingers open, covering in paint and placing on paper. drawing on eyes, grass, ears etc, and then saying the child has made an elephant. It looks lovely, but who really made it??

fingers crossed

kirstie:jump for joy:

karen m
28-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I would love some big rolls of plain paper so i can cut off as much/little as needed each time

I spend about £20 a month on craft resouces

i worry that the bigger children tend to do more craft than the little ones

sharonmanc
28-10-2012, 08:13 PM
business?

I would like individual PVA glue bottles, pritt sticks that stay sticky, glittler ( I am finding this hard to get hold of lately) gems, coloured lolly pop sticks, lots of cut out shapes, pom poms, and pipe cleaners, plus lots of different coloured paper, primary coloured paints

£10-20, but i spend a lot more when there are big festivals etc to celebrate.

children?

Smaller children eating things, so lots of non toxic craft bits are essential

Jo Jo
28-10-2012, 08:27 PM
business?
lots of coloured paper and card PGA glue and glue sticks, crayons felt tips, collage materials aprons table mats.
Around £20 per month
children?
Materials appropriate for children's use, making sure little ones stay safe while exploring the materials close supervision :thumbsup:

jo.jo76
28-10-2012, 08:28 PM
competition.

business?

children?

1. Coloured paper, glue sticks, little pots of PVA with glue sticks, chalks, crayons, stickers, sequins, buttons, foam shapes, tissue paper, shiny materials, pipe cleaners, gems and pom poms

2. I usually spend about £50 at the beginning of each term

3. Paint that actually washes out without staining hands, table and carpet!

:)

Richard
31-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Just a reminder that this competition ends at 11:59pm tonight so if you would like to enter please do so before this time!

Richard
02-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all the entries. This competition has now closed and the winners are eddie, jane5 and sharonmanc who each win a £50 voucher to spend at Artful Dodgers - Nursery and Educational Supplies (http://www.artfuldodgers.co.uk)

Congratulations to all the winners and thank you for all the entiries.

eddie
02-11-2012, 09:16 AM
:clapping::clapping::jump for joy:

Richard
02-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Please can the 3 winners PM me with their email addresses so the voucher prize can be sent to you.

Thanks

Richard

karens knippers
02-11-2012, 12:47 PM
well done winners :clapping::clapping::clapping:

sharonmanc
03-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Yayyy, I am one of the winners, just logged into a new private message from Richard and I am smiling this much :D
Thank you to Artful Dodgers and the forum :thumbsup:

Richard
05-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Here is a message from Susie at Artful Dodgers:

Thank you to everyone who took part in this survey. Congratulations to the winners. I look forward to sending you details of how to claim your vouchers once Richard has let me have them.

I’d like to take this opportunity to address some of the concerns you’ve raised which I hope will help you with your planning of art and craft activities.

Toxicity of materials – make sure you buy paint, glue etc. that is suitable for young children. The products we provide have been used in schools and nurseries for years. However, if you’d like data sheets on products please contact us and we’ll be happy to supply them to you. Good brands to look out for are: Brian Clegg and Scola.

Stains – Paint will stain unless you get to it quickly. If you can wash it out before it dries you should be fine. It’s harder work if it dries. The best thing is to avoid the paint getting onto the wrong thing in the first place – easier said than done when you’re dealing with small children!

There is more information on our blog about removing stains from a wide range of surfaces and made by a variety of materials: stain removal | Artful Dodgers (http://www.artfuldodgers.co.uk/blog/index.php/tag/stain-removal)

Here are some suggestions to help you avoid mess. Some won’t be appropriate to your situation but hopefully it might help you think up your own solutions:

1. Make sure the children and yourself to wear aprons.

2. Tell parents you’ll be painting/doing messy work and ask them to put children in clothes or supply a set of clothes they won’t mind getting paint on. Planning and clear communication with parents will really help.

3. Paint at a table or on an easel – this means the paint has less chance of getting under the apron.

4. Use splash mats or cloths on the floor and table.

5. Use non-spill pots.

6. Establish firm rules for when you are doing messy work.

7. Teach the children that the paint should only be in the pot/pallet, on the brush or on the paper/artwork. Praise the children when they are doing it right.

8. Teach the children to wash their hands before touching anything else – have a bowl of soapy water and towel to hand.

Choking hazards – avoid small items unless you can supervise closely. Buy/make large collage items from card, felt, remnant fabric etc. Use old clothes, packaging and other items will help keep costs down so you can use your budget for things you have to buy.

Glitter – if you hate glitter because it gets everywhere – two tidier solutions are glitter paint and glitter gel. Not totally mess free but you get the glitz without having glitter all over your house.

Drying artwork – this is a real problem if you’ve not got much space. You may wish to invest in a fold down drying rack where you can stack pictures in a small space.

Process more important than product – you’ll have to educate parents on this one I’m afraid. On our website there are a couple of articles you may find helpful: Art v Craft – Know the Difference Artful Dodgers - Nursery and Educational Supplies (http://www.artfuldodgers.co.uk/page-art-and-craft.html) and How Children’s Drawing Develops http://www.artfuldodgers.co.uk/pdf/childartisgreat.pdf . Hopefully these will help when it comes to managing parents expectations. Feel free to print out or direct parents to them.

Making art with children is so worthwhile and you all seem keen to do it. If there is anyway Artful Dodgers can help please don’t hesitate to contact me susan@artfuldodgers.co.uk

eddie
06-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Lovely advice from the company, thank you!

Just placed my order, very nice and easy and the lady was really lovely! Will definitely be working my way through the wish list I have built up by browsing on their site!

eddie
08-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Just received my parcel - lovely quick service and the LOs are busy playing with the bits and pieces(and probably the box later!).

jane5
11-11-2012, 11:30 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I've been on holiday this week and had no Internet connection so I havnt been able to come on here.

I have just logged on to get a message from Richard saying I am one of the winners, I'm very excited :D

sharonmanc
12-11-2012, 10:20 AM
It was lovely to speak to Susan on the phone when i was choosing our bits and pieces, a great service,and i have now seen so much that we could use, so will be shopping there again, plus they are Manchester based, so nice to support a business local to me :thumbsup: