PDA

View Full Version : Takes all the good out of it!

smurfette
10-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Gggrr people are so cheeky sometimes!! After school mindees grandad died this weekend and he hasn't been here this week.. Mum pays at start of week and I already decided not to charge under the circumstances although we are smashed this week.. Mum has just text me and said 'I Aussume I won't have to pay due to the circumstances' !!! Grr! Hate assumptions and just made me feel cross not generous!!

Trouble
10-10-2012, 06:21 PM
maybe you should say i wasnt going to charge you anyway in a conversation

people :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:!!!!

silvermist
10-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Me too, so irritating! :mad:

samsstars
10-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Personally, I would still charge!
And yes, assumptions like that are so annoying.

wendywu
10-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I may have given them a couple of days off but not the whole week, i assume the funeral is still to come, will she expect that day free as well. :mad:

Mouse
10-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Oh gosh, my mindees' grandad died last week, so they didn't come and I didn't even think about not charging :blush: Parents pay in advance, so had already paid for the week.

Would people generally not charge?

AliceK
10-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Gggrr people are so cheeky sometimes!! After school mindees grandad died this weekend and he hasn't been here this week.. Mum pays at start of week and I already decided not to charge under the circumstances although we are smashed this week.. Mum has just text me and said 'I Aussume I won't have to pay due to the circumstances' !!! Grr! Hate assumptions and just made me feel cross not generous!!

I think now rather than not charging I would say well usually I would have to charge as normal but in the circumstances I will charge just 50% instead. I'd feel a bit pee'd about not charging now :mad:

xxx

Bear23
10-10-2012, 08:44 PM
totally agree alice, agree half x

smurfette
10-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I text back and said normally fees due for non attendance but in this case I had already decided not to charge (didn't want her to think she had made me!) it's only three days at two hours each so not too bad, just peed cos i wanted to do something nice for her! If it was a full
Timer couldn't have afforded too.. Would assume the funeral is done, here we do funerals really fast, someone dies and the removal mass is the following evening and the funeral service the morning after! I am from the uk originally so I know there it doesn't happen as fast usually!

Will just have to keep an eye on this mum, she is a very pushy personality and I have been pushed into stuff already (four weeks in) I have later not been happy I have agreed to, think she might be inclined to take the mick! As long as she doesn't invent a dead relative every month now!!

smurfette
11-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Now she has been aNd collected him and paid me for the two hours today and the two hours tomorrow but moot the you tomorrow morning, as she doesnt need me as she isn't back at work yet!!! This is a fiver but I am now forty euros down this week! Want to text her as I am fuming what should I say?!!!

new to all this
11-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Oh dear that's not good she is taking the **** a bit with that. I would make it clear now that you still want paying, that you waived the fees previously due to her loss but you are not a pay as you service so she will have to pay for the morning. What a cheeky cow

ziggy
12-10-2012, 07:52 AM
do you have contract saying fees to be paid for contracted hours?

I agree, i would explain you didnt charge for week of death/funeral but fees must be paid whether child attends or not.

LauraS
12-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I bet you wish that you hadn't tried to be nice at all, now :(

I'd just tell her face to face that the remainder is still due, and reiterate the same on her receipt

2kidsunder5
12-10-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm not being funny, and I'm sorry if it sounds heartless but I would still charge full fee. After all you have a living to earn and are not a charity. If one of your close family sadly passed away would the parents still pay you when you for not minding their child?

bunyip
12-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm not being funny, and I'm sorry if it sounds heartless but I would still charge full fee. After all you have a living to earn and are not a charity. If one of your close family sadly passed away would the parents still pay you when you for not minding their child?

I have to say I actually agree with that.

My initial, gut-reaction was "of course you shouldn't charge", but I now think my gut-reaction was wrong. I think death makes us so uncomfortable and awkward that we stop being rational for a bit.

Being sympathetic is an emotional transaction, not a financial one. It shouldn't change the business relationship at all. It's not being heartless: it's just that the money arrangement has nothing to do with the bereavement.

I can't think of any other arrangements where they'd let waive someone's obligations/bill because of the circumstances.