PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

butterfly
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I regularly check the jobs pages in case there's something exciting out there and have just found a job which sounds fab leading an early years team (nursery, reception and yr1) in a school. It sounds really good and right up my street - back to teaching but actually leading a team would be fab! Also great start date - April next year so plenty of time to give notice to families.

So what's the problem? Well it's quite a way away - probably an hour's commute (def not ideal) - so i'd be looking at leaving here at 7am and returning at about 5.30. The most sensible thing to do would be to move my children to the new school (is this the best thing?) as there is no childcare in our town and that way i wouldnt miss their plays etc.

My husband has already said there wouldn't be any point of staying here we may as well move closer (which is a big decision - although we're renting so the actual house bit is probably not too stressful).

Other issues holding me back incluse doing my PhD - I do want to do this but couldnt in the new job due to it being full time.

It sounds like loads of negatives but the job does sound good. It would be a big gamble!

What should I do? Leave it - wrong place, wrong time or Go for it - and let fate decide whether or not I get it?

hectors house
08-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a lot of new opportunities and a fresh start - I would apply and see what happens, sounds like your husband is being supportive in considering moving house too. You don't want to look back in years to come and think "wish I had applied", you may get an interview and may be offered the job but if its not what you wanted you can still turn it down. And plenty of time to give notice to your mindees, most of us look in the newspapers and think we would like to apply for a job but then feel too guilty to just give mindees a months notice.

QualityCare
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
look at house rents in the area compare prices, make enquires to see if your children would get into the school, how would husbands work be affected, is their time before the closing date to do some investigating. Could you put PhD on hold for a while, l think thats the only major issue holding you back. Go for it and see what happens you don't have to accept the job if they offer it.

blue bear
08-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Start dates not til April, so you can apply now and then consider all the alternatives, go for it you have nothing to loose.

Joda
08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Job sounds good - will you regret it if you don't apply??

butterfly
08-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Job sounds good - will you regret it if you don't apply??

I don't know! I just really feel like doing something different now - preferably where I'll get some recognition for what I do!

I'm just not sure I want THAT much change!

The Juggler
08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
i would say no hon :panic: you cannot guarantee your childrne will get into a school that faraway and it will become even more problematic as they get older and the catchments for their schools are even smaller.

keep looking :thumbsup:

Jo Jo
08-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Go for it you only live once it could be right for you and your family apply for it and see we're it goes :thumbsup::)

mama2three
08-10-2012, 01:09 PM
I would cross one bridge at a time!
Apply - then think things through further. You may or may not get an interview. You may or may not be offered the post. Only then do you have to make a final decision.

Even if you get the post you dont need to move schools or move straight away. Is there really no childcare whatsoever for your children , school wrap around or anything? 7 to 5.30 is a fairly standard working day for many. Maybe rethink whether a whole family relocation is wanted / needed after a term or 2 when you know if the job is all you wanted and likely to be long-term!!

As for the phd then maybe you could do a limited amount termtime and blitz it during the school holidays?

You said youre not sure you want THAT much change , just do it a step at a time!

FussyElmo
08-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Just apply and see what happens - what is meant to be will be :thumbsup:

~Grasshopper~
08-10-2012, 03:21 PM
deffo apply, if only for the experience of the form filling and interview. you dont have to take the job if it comes to it and you dont want it and then you have lost nothing.

life is too short to worry about other people.

good luck

x

Lick'le Oakes
08-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I'd say go for it, why not, if you get it then consider everything but it not cost you anything to apply......well a stamp lol,

winstonian
08-10-2012, 06:14 PM
I agree, apply and if its meant to happen it will! Good luck x

butterfly
10-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Well I emailed and asked for an application form and had no reply for 36 hrs and then this morning I got one!

They said they'd post me an application form and then suggested I rung to make an appointment to have a look around.

So now I'm left with a dilemna! They offered 3 times for an appointment - the only one I could possible make is this afternoon at 4pm which would mean passing a couple of children on to my friend (CM) I havent asked her yet but I'm pretty sure she would help if Iasked.

I dont know what to do now. I know they won't offer the job to anyone that hasnt visited so if im serious in applying I need to visit. I've just looked it up on route planner and found that it's an hour's journey from home. That's a long way and I don't think I could manage that commute every day. So we would need to look at moving - but that's a big decision.

I just dont know! I'm really confused! I'm really busy at the mo so don't really want to mess veryone around today so that I can vist if I'm not really serious about the job BUT how will I know if i'm serious until i've visited?

pinky33
10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Well I emailed and asked for an application form and had no reply for 36 hrs and then this morning I got one!

They said they'd post me an application form and then suggested I rung to make an appointment to have a look around.

So now I'm left with a dilemna! They offered 3 times for an appointment - the only one I could possible make is this afternoon at 4pm which would mean passing a couple of children on to my friend (CM) I havent asked her yet but I'm pretty sure she would help if Iasked.

I dont know what to do now. I know they won't offer the job to anyone that hasnt visited so if im serious in applying I need to visit. I've just looked it up on route planner and found that it's an hour's journey from home. That's a long way and I don't think I could manage that commute every day. So we would need to look at moving - but that's a big decision.

I just dont know! I'm really confused! I'm really busy at the mo so don't really want to mess veryone around today so that I can vist if I'm not really serious about the job BUT how will I know if i'm serious until i've visited?

I would go visit, you never know you might hate the place.

JCrakers
10-10-2012, 10:14 AM
If you can make it today without problems I would go along and have a look etc. see what the drive is like.
If its too much of a hassle to get there today then I would leave it.

I would go to the interview to test the water, see what it's all about. You might not like the school or job and then you can make a decision.
There may be a lot of candidates and if you are offered the job or a second interview you can decide then.

Tealady
10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Go and see the school. It might be a dreadful place and therefore the decision will be made for you.

If you like it, apply. As previous posters have said, you don't have to make any changes until you get get the job.

butterfly
10-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone. I didn't go today. Family and friends here weren't too positive and it's a big decision to make without everyone's support. I'll just keep looking and hope something similar comes up closer to home.