PDA

View Full Version : Conjunctivitis

2kidsunder5
07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
I mind a 9 month old baby mum has just rang me to check on exclusion for cunjunctivitis.

According to the guidance on infection control in schools and other childcare settings the exclusion period is none. I actually disagree with this as I think it is very contageous and I don't beleive I can stop it being spread from one child to another. Baby is crawling and picking up toys and into everything. I also mind a 13 month old and 2 year old on the same days.

Mum has said that Nursery (baby goes there Mon and Tues) has said she cannot go. Can they do that? I wonder if they have a policy that states they exclude for conjuncititis if so can I ammend mine.

Would be interested to know what other childminders do?

cathtee
07-10-2012, 03:13 PM
I thought once eye drops are started the child can mix with others, please correct me if this is incorrect.

blue bear
07-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Hap guidance is just that guidance and you don't have to stick with it but do have to prove how you keep children safe if you don't stick to it.
Anyway I exclude for conjunctivitis, it's terrible to get clear of if not as it just goes from one child to another and families and my family then back to children, on and on.

dette
07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
FRom my experience of conjunctivitus ive only ever known it pass onto another child once and this was when when were on holiday and couldnt get treated straight away,my kids tend to get red crusty eyes when they get a cold but this has never passed onto any of their brothers and sisters,although i do make sure they use seperate towels
,a nurse at my surgery told me that it isnt always infectious,usually just snotty eye much the same as a snotty nose,she says its the same treatment regardless of it being bacterial or viral and once eye drops are given is mostly none catching ,bathing eyes with chamomile tea will clear up an infection as quickly as eye drops,got that from a pharmasist(spelling)

ChildcareCate
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I have been in this situation and taken the little one once drops have been started. Really good idea to wipe their hands and nose often to minimise the risk of it spreading. No other child in my care got it from the baby so would definately do the same again.

Tazmin68
07-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi
A few months ago my youngest son had conjunctivitis and passed it onto me. I advised parents that I was still working and one parent decided that she did not want to send her baby as gp said contagious parent still paid fees.

alwaysright
08-10-2012, 01:45 PM
as others have said the hpa is just guidance, the decision is yours, so if the nursery have a policy that say they exclude for it they are quite within their rights to do this. i do exclude for conjuctivitis as its very contagious, i have actually caught it of a child before so i exclude until eyes are clear

rickysmiths
08-10-2012, 03:18 PM
I have never excluded for it and it has never been a problem. Our doctors won't give eye drops or cream for at least 3 days anyway because it has been proven that it normally clears up in that time anyway.

I have never had it passed on from one child to the other either.

2kidsunder5
10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone. Mixed opinions but my question was answered in that I can exclude providing I have it in my policy x

eddie
10-10-2012, 09:24 AM
I never used to exclude then last year one had it, despite cleaning toys etc it passed to another child, then back to the original one again. Parents all kept children at home for a couple of days and it was cleared from the setting.

I decided then to put it in the exclusions because I have one LO who has eye problems so is very susceptible to infections.

Seems to be personal choice...

hectors house
10-10-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't exclude for it as long as the parents put in the first treatment of eye drops or cream and there is no allergic reaction (I am allergic to the cream - instead of soothing it is like putting shampoo in my eyes) and as long as the child will allow me to put in drops/cream easily. Once had a parent who demonstrated how she had to sit on child and put in a head lock to get drops in - way beyond reasonable restraint!