PDA

View Full Version : Food Standards Agency Inspection ??

Jexer72
06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Hi - I am newly registered and have duly told the Food Standards Agency that I will be a childcare business preparing snacks for children. I made it clear I will not be preparing hot meals ONLY snacks and warming food and milk. I have now received a certificate saying I am awaiting inspection and the accompanying letter says I qualify to be rated and will be inspected shortly :eek:

Has anyone else been inspected? I have no idea what to expect :panic:

mum24
06-10-2012, 07:36 PM
I was inspected, and the inspector was lovely. She was completely understanding that this was a family home as well as a business. I have been filling in my folder (it is in the cupboard downstairs, and can't remember the name properly now, but better food, better business for childminders - I think). She asked me one or two questions, along the lines of how did I check food was cooked right through, which won't apply in your case anyway, and also checking the fridge temperature. She had a very swift look around the kitchen, didn't check inside cupboards or the fridge. I also had level 2 food hygiene already in place. The visit lasted about twenty minutes in total.

cathtee
06-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Don't panic, it's only a short visit mine checked inside the fridge asked questions about how checked the temperature of food, I had been on course and they gave us a food thermometer and fridge thermometer showed him and that was it.

Everything will be fine

SarahJellybean
07-10-2012, 08:37 AM
My friend had hers not long ago and was marked down for not writing anything in the safer food folder, you know the bit which says "found ham was one day out of date, so threw away" she lost a star for not having anything there, so I am going to add something there when it comes to mine! Otherwise she just checked she had a food probe, and raw meat at bottom of fridge etc.

bunyip
07-10-2012, 09:05 AM
They will check that your food storage and preparation areas and practice are hygienic and safe. They will check your knowledge, based on the food safety course you should've done. They will want you to keep a few records as a "food management system" - this will be as per the 'Safer Food, Better Business for Childminders' pack (if you've not yet received this, then call and ask the inspector to bring a copy along for you.)

Don't worry. It sounds a lot scarier than it is. The absolute worst that can happen is that they find a fault and give you a time period in which to fix it. I do not know of any CMs who've had a fault to fix. The vast majority of CMs get one of the top marks for a standard domestic kitchen arrangment and a bit of food sense.
:)

jackie 7
07-10-2012, 09:53 AM
go through your tins etc so nothing is out of date, I was told to have paper towels for children to dry hands on in bathroom. I had mice at the time and filled in the book and proved I was using a nice man from a company to deal with it. at least you get a bit of notice so you can spring clean.

Jexer72
07-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Many thanks for all the replies. I will get myself a food probe and write something in the food management file! :thumbsup:

Just when I thought I'd seen the back of inspections for a while.... :rolleyes: