PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! May get to talk to local MP

Ripeberry
06-10-2012, 10:59 AM
I've been following this 'deregulation' process since it began and I've been passing info onto our local CM group. Now a developmental worker (also a friend) from the council wants me to come along for a meeting with our local MP Steve Webb to talk about our concerns and to ask for more clarification and transparency.
Until Mrs Truss has got all the evidence in and has a think about it all then we are all in the dark. But the main points are not reducing costs by increasing numbers of children as that will be unworkable for many and that other 'think tank' idea about making SAHM childminders won't work for everyone.

Any other ideas that I can put forward. I'm not much of a 'speaker' but I'll type great big essays if necessary ;)

JCrakers
06-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Sounds good, make sure you write all your thoughts down so you don't forget anything.

The problem we have is childminders are very individual and each is unique. I was speaking to an older minder yesterday who hates ofsted, won't pay the £35 data protection fee, doesn't do lj's as she can't be bothered with it and would like to just babysit the children. She was moaning that she's got no work and the only work she gets is bits and bobs. The rich, as she called them want nurseries.

Then there's other childminders who are professional and take their business seriously, want to be offering their service on a par with nurseries. I told her I have full time children and felt a bit embarrassed telling her that I was full, but is there any wonder :rolleyes: I won't be working for any less money so whatever their answer is if it involves dropping prices I won't, as I don't want to offer a less professional service and won't work for peanuts

Each childminder is different so I don't know what they think they can do to us in a ball park scenario.

Ripeberry
06-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks thats a very good point. I'll use that as an example. Keep them coming :-)