PDA

View Full Version : I have heard it all now...

AgentTink
05-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Parents on income support will be asked to consider becoming childminders when their youngest reaches five.

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/bulletin/nurseryworldupdate/article/1153528/?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate

Why does the government think that just about anyone can become a childminder?

Most people i know say to me "i don't know how you look after other people's children all day" so why does the government seem to think that anyone who has had a child makes a good childminder. I love working with children and it is my passion, I train as much as i can, I am forever reading up on new areas of children's development and new research, i spend money on resources that will benefit the children.

The government goes on about the importance of having a early years workforce that is educated to a high standard and has the passion for working with children, however now that childcare costs seem to be too high, they are thinking that if they make the process quicker to register as a childminder and offer it to all parents who are not working that they will be able to reduce costs.

This article has really annoyed me. Can you tell?

Pipsqueak
05-10-2012, 01:57 PM
oh for the love of spinach :(

wonder where this fits in with the Truss Woman's de-reg....

nipper
05-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Oh @*?!!:eek:
I can just imagine some of the local parents at my school...
That is a scary thought.
Might need to put my fees up though!

Ripeberry
05-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Well all the illegal CMs will be laughing at us for doing the right thing. I just think the whole counrey is going bonkers on so many things right now :-(

silvermist
05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Absolutely ridiculous!!! and a bit insulting I might add!:eek:

caz3007
05-10-2012, 04:06 PM
When I think of some of the parents all over the country who could be looking after other peoples children, it doesnt bear thinking about. In some areas its a struggle finding mindies as it is without more minders being registered

JCrakers
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
For goodness sake. This country is really going to pot. :mad:

This makes me feel even worse about my job. When are people going to wake up and stop complaining about childcare costs. I've worked 10 hrs today today for 50 quid :angry:

Boris
05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
What an absolute JOKE! :angry:

Yeah, become a childminder. Might as well, it's a piece of £$%%! Saves doing a proper job. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

kellib
05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I was on Income Support before I became a childminder.

I became a childminder because looking for an office job that would fit in with being a single parent to a young boy at school was increasingly difficult.

I sat down and thought about what I really wanted to do with my life and as I do love being with children it made sense to me to get registered. It was the best thing I've ever done, I truly love my job.

It might help to remember that not all people on Income Support are scum of the earth.

Kiddleywinks
05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
For goodness sake. This country is really going to pot. :mad:

This makes me feel even worse about my job. When are people going to wake up and stop complaining about childcare costs. I've worked 10 hrs today today for 50 quid :angry:

:eek: That much?!
If Truss has her way, you'll be doing the same hours, with more children for half that!

AliceK
05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
What an absolute JOKE! :angry:

Yeah, become a childminder. Might as well, it's a piece of £$%%! Saves doing a proper job. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Trouble is that's exactly what a lot of people really do think :angry:
You can have no idea of what's involved in this job unless you have done it.

xxx

AgentTink
05-10-2012, 08:46 PM
I was on Income Support before I became a childminder.

I became a childminder because looking for an office job that would fit in with being a single parent to a young boy at school was increasingly difficult.

I sat down and thought about what I really wanted to do with my life and as I do love being with children it made sense to me to get registered. It was the best thing I've ever done, I truly love my job.

It might help to remember that not all people on Income Support are scum of the earth.

I certainly didn't mean that parents on income support are scum, that was not the aim of my post.

I am angry at the fact that the government thinks that the job is so easy that anyone who has a child would be able to care and develop other children.

Mouse
05-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I certainly didn't mean that parents on income support are scum, that was not the aim of my post.

I am angry at the fact that the government thinks that the job is so easy that anyone who has a child would be able to care and develop other children.

Is it the government saying it though? I've commented on another post about this asking what the Centre for Social Justice is. From what I can see they are an independent body, not connected to the government.

With any luck the government won't take much notice of them!

The Juggler
05-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Parents on income support will be asked to consider becoming childminders when their youngest reaches five.

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/bulletin/nurseryworldupdate/article/1153528/?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate

Why does the government think that just about anyone can become a childminder?

Most people i know say to me "i don't know how you look after other people's children all day" so why does the government seem to think that anyone who has had a child makes a good childminder. I love working with children and it is my passion, I train as much as i can, I am forever reading up on new areas of children's development and new research, i spend money on resources that will benefit the children.

The government goes on about the importance of having a early years workforce that is educated to a high standard and has the passion for working with children, however now that childcare costs seem to be too high, they are thinking that if they make the process quicker to register as a childminder and offer it to all parents who are not working that they will be able to reduce costs.

This article has really annoyed me. Can you tell?

the last Government did. not sure this one does. So billions of pounds of research out the window, billions of pounds of funding to train early years workers wasted - the new governement don't seem to think early years is important at all :panic::(:(

JCrakers
11-10-2012, 10:12 AM
:eek: That much?!
If Truss has her way, you'll be doing the same hours, with more children for half that!

:D I won't because I will give up childminding. Simple
I wouldn't work a 10hr day for £25

2kidsunder5
11-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Won't matter anyway if we are deregulated. Anyone will be able to do the job, safeguarding won't matter anymore :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:: angry:

gegele
11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Ladies Let's not get angry yet. it's just talk for now.

and if they live the registration system the way it is a lot of the people won't want to spend the money it now cost to register.

eddie
11-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Ladies Let's not get angry yet. it's just talk for now.

and if they live the registration system the way it is a lot of the people won't want to spend the money it now cost to register.

I agree but for me it is the constant feeling that childminding is undervalued by just about everyone - its an easy job, better than doing nothing, you don't need skills or brains - these are the vibes that are sent out by this sort of report. We constantly try to come over as professional, hard working people who love children and this sort of thing doesn't help.

jillplum
11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Well it might be a good idea for some single parents. I divorced when my three were very small and paying for childcare for three would have meant me working long hours and trips away etc which I felt was not fair on my kids. As a. Single parent I was limited in my choices. My sister had been childminding for years and I had been a nanny so I decided to child mind until mine went to school. I am still doing it now and my youngest is 15. It suits me as I can be home for mine when needed and I can make enough to keep us all. When I first started I still got income support as I couldn't earn enough money to keep us all ( I have never had any child support).

So for the right people it can be a way to work and still be at home for your own children.