PDA

View Full Version : Getting out and about with 3 under 5's..

NicoleW
05-10-2012, 08:51 AM
I have my own daughter who is 2 and a half, suffered development delay and has been only walking for around 8 months, she lacks stamina really and dawdles so much it's quite painful. Still though I encourage her to walk.

I have a 21 month old who walks really well actually, he can walk 25 minutes to school and it's just the last 5 minutes he gets tired.

And an 18 month old who has only just started walking.

My issue is that I have a Phil and Teds and I can't fit a buggy board onto it because of how far back the bottom seat comes and I'm wondering what my best option is.

For now I have been letting 21 month odl mindee walk to school, switch him and my daughter and let my daughter walk back home although half way home I have to switch her again with 21 month old mindee as she's far too tired.

I'm thinking perhaps a side by side buggy with a buggy board... So expensive though, has anyone got any other ideas? Or any reccomendations for a side by side?

BuggsieMoo
05-10-2012, 08:56 AM
A smorph buggy pod (around £180 new - but I got mine for £26 on ebay!). I have a P&T one on top of the other double and a buggy pod on the side. Clips on and off and folds up small. Ideal for tired legs :-)

NicoleW
05-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Wasn't there some really really bad press about the buggy pods crushing children or something?

Katiekoo
05-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I thought buggy pods were a great idea until my friend got one, on the phil and teds, it fits on ok, but it fell off when they were crossing the road about three times. She actually binned it!
I use a lascal maxi buggy board on the P&T with doubles kit, and it does fit, the child needs to be reasonably tall to hold onto the handle bars, but it's good, I always hold their little hands onto the handle as I push so they don't fall!
It can get heavy pushing three, but that's when you encourage them to walk for a bit, especially going uphill!
edited to add bit about it being a P&T

nipper
05-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I've got a mountain buggy duet which is the same width as a single and I use the buggy board on that. It's a dream to push and brilliant for our rural tracks.
I invested in a new one and it has been worth every penny...a real work horse and I intend to still be using it on my last day of being a childminder...whenever that might be.

The mb is better for reclining both sides if both little ones fall asleep. I bought a second hand phil and teds off ebay when I started up last year which I also loved (and so did the local bus drivers!). Most days I have a 34 month old who rarely uses the buggy board now (unless we have to be somewhere speedy) a 22 month old (who is being 'trained' at the moment to use the buggy board as mum has just had number 2). This one is pretty good at walking and will hold my hand whilst I push the pushchair. The youngest two aged 8 months and 16 months are the main users of the pushchair, although the 16 month old always wants to jump out when she sees the older two walking (usually across the field on the way to and from school).

It's part of my 'ethos' if you like of helping younger children to walk safely and confidently in varied terrain and with the older school-aged ones, of teaching them them good road safety, as well as keeping them fit. I've included this in the LJ's of the smallest mindees and every parents comments on how much their walking has improved.

NicoleW
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
It's my daughter I mainly have the problem with, my 21 month old can walk around 20 minutes before becoming quite tired but I must say they all walk really well no running off no crossing roads without knowing to hold my hand etc it's mainly just how SLOW my daughter walks and when I haven't got 50 minutes to walk to school in the morning it's getting a bit frustrating.

I think I will get a buggy board and try it on this phil and teds, and if it doesn't fit I can always take it back

BuggsieMoo
05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Mine is fine (although I am looking to invest in a triple pram) but I do only cross roads at drop curbs (the P&T is heavy enough to lift up curbs with 2 in it, let alone 3). Ive got the latest version of the Buggy Pod so not to sure if problems related to older ones or not as I havent seen any negative comments on it. I know that only certain ones will fit certain prams etc. x

Mine are 2 year old twins (1 is a semi walker, 1 is a bit slower on the uptake) and a 11 month old. None would cope at present on a buggy board x

The Juggler
05-10-2012, 12:45 PM
i use a side by side with a buggy board hon. I just got rid of my triple as soon as oldest little one turned 2 - she does struggle a bit standing for the length of the school run but it's only for one day and we have a rest at school

blue bear
05-10-2012, 12:56 PM
It's th original pod that had lots of issues, I have a smorph 2 and it has been fantastic. Personally I would try a board for an older one, I've not managed to fit my buggy board on my phil and t think you need extenders?