PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever changed their mind about becoming accredited?

nipper
05-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Hi, I was just wondering if any of you have ever thought about becoming accredited only to change your minds because of the extra effort/time/paperwork that it involves. I recently lost a three year old because I cannot (for the moment) offer funded places, however I have made enquiries for the next mindee who turns three at the end of the year. The DO briefly explained over the phone what it entails...five visits per year, a couple of unnannounced visits (this mindee only comes three full days a week, parents have enquired about her coming full time, I said I could accomodate but still haven't heard back from them). The cynical side of me thinks if I go to all this effort and what happens if they decide to pull her out? The crazy thing is I know I can replace her if parents move her back to nursery full time.

What to do?

JCrakers
05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
I started mine in jan 12 and after looking at the business plan I had to put together changed my mind. Parents were willing to lose money.
This went on until June and they said they couldn't afford to lose free money so I looked at it again, put my head down got the business plan done without spouting off to the woman but I had to bite my tongue.
It was a long process and my inspection was just like an ofsted one but with 2 women. But it went well, I had a few tweaks here and there.

Now I'm accredited and receiving funding for 1 child, prob 1 from jan and 1 from Easter if things don't change.
I'm not sure if I could do it again I would. im glad it's done, I don't mind the visits and i don't mind if they come unannounced because I'm always organised. Mine just come to look through ljs, check paperwork and the child I'm funding birth cert etc.

It's 1p less than what I charge but I can make up the loss by putting my rate up for extra hours or making a charge for lunch.
I'm still in the early days so I don't know if its going to pay off. It will give parents more of a choice but I think it depends on the child as to whether they need a preschool environment.

So, I'm glad I've done it and hopefully it will be helpful but we will see :D

nipper
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I suppose like everything else, once you're accredited you're always accredited (barring being struck off) i.e. one piece of paperwork that is always in place. Thanks for your reply.

Cammie Doodle
05-10-2012, 08:40 AM
I was and now Im not :rolleyes:To be honest I used it once for 1 child since we as Minders could deliver ,and thats all. I have just been approached for a child for next year, Im not sure if I will do it again,if it was the only way to keep a fulltime child I would consider it, but for one child Im not so sure :blush: But never say never in this game ,you just never know what's around the corner

nipper
05-10-2012, 08:51 AM
As I said before, this little one was in full time nursery 8am-6pm five days a week, started with me three days a week earlier in year. Parents have asked if there is a space for her to come every day, which I replied to dad yes there would be. A couple of weeks passed, hadn't heard from dad at pick up so I emailed mum to see if she could fill me in on what was going on. She replied back 'We're talking about it'...that was over a month ago.

Dad has enquired abut the accreditation paperwork when dropping off, I said there was quite a bit to do but If i decide to go ahead with it, should be up and running by January (term after she turns three so will fit in nicely).

I am just worried that if they can't tell me straight away if they want the five day a week slot, who's to say they might turn round to me once I have gone through the whole accreditation business and say 'You know what, we've changed our minds'.

mama2three
05-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Some areas make it extremely difficult to become accredited - Notts has recently changed the criteria ( used to need level4!) and tbh it has been incredibly straight forward and quick. Once again it seems its a postcode ( well , LA ) lottery.

nipper
05-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Am I right in thinking some LA's have disbanded their networks too, therefore preventing childminder's from becoming accredited?

marian
05-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I started the process but decided to stop.

It wouldn't have been financially worth it for all the hoops our LA wanted us to jump through.

Also it was not unusual for payment to be not payed - lots of stress and chasing for money.( 3 minders) ...so I decided to concentrate on little-es.

Having said that i have had 2 children who parents decided to keep with me instead of nursery and they have just gone to school!

Marian x

samb
05-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I think it makes a big difference as to where you are but also how you usually work. I am very thorough and probably do waaaay too much paperwork anyway and so therefore I haven't felt like I have had to do much more. However another minder in the area signed up at the same time as me and she is thinking about coming off as she doesn't think it is worth it. I haven't even got any children in that age group that need it - the only 3/4 yr old I currently have goes to nursery every morning which is his 15 hours. So me being accredited is not all about the money and keeping contracts etc it is about me developing as a practitioner and being recognised for that. Also my LA offers extra training opportunities and some trips too that I couldn't access otherwise so I personally like it for me.

blue bear
05-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I became accredited many years ago and have thought about stopping it many times, talked out of it by parents.
Just recently though work in general is very slow with many minders having to give up but I find I am in demand because of the accreditation, parents have started to get savvy about the funding and the fact we childminders offer the same outcomes as pre school but more flexible and lower ratios.
I have had four call last month all wanting an accredited childminder but only one regular enquiry (I'm the area vacancy co-ordinator)

watgem
05-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I think about it on and off but do get put off by all the paperwork/hoops to jump through, but am also now wondering about how you get paid? As my hubby is self employed also we depend on my weekly money for our day to day living, am I right in thinking that you don't get paid weekly?

nipper
05-10-2012, 12:41 PM
My DO mentionned something about termly...:panic:

The Juggler
05-10-2012, 12:41 PM
i offered it for one term (this summer just gone) to help out parents as their LO's were not starting nursery til Sept but qualified for funding. I figured it would save them a lot of money.

Wouldn't do it agian - got paid 2 months late:panic:

JCrakers
05-10-2012, 12:42 PM
I think about it on and off but do get put off by all the paperwork/hoops to jump through, but am also now wondering about how you get paid? As my hubby is self employed also we depend on my weekly money for our day to day living, am I right in thinking that you don't get paid weekly?

My LA pay half at the beginning and then half later in the term.

loocyloo
05-10-2012, 12:56 PM
i have termly visits from my DO and a termly training session (but not a problem if i can't attend) there is also other training i wouldn't know about or be able to access if i wasn't acreditated. i also run a local childminders drop in, that is something i was 'asked' to do as part of being acrediated, but again, if i can't make a session, not a problem.

i would stay accrediated if i didn't have any funding as professionally it works for me. i don't recall it being arduous to become acreddiated, just a couple of visits and going through a pile of questions, with my DO. i don't know if maybe that was because i was acreddiated where i used to live, and my old DO gave me a reference !!!

mum24
06-10-2012, 08:58 PM
I have been accredited for a couple of years now. Yes, hard work to keep up with everything, but my main concern really is that none of my parents are interested in accessing their 15 hours through me. I had one who was funded a year ago but only because they thought their little one was not ready for a larger setting because of delicate health. My other mindees go to play school primarily because the word 'school' is included in their name:angry:
And of course they have 'teachers':laughing:
So I am thinking not bothering any longer, though I do like the extra training, and meeting up with other childminders who care about their profession. Also my network co ordinator is a fantastic lady, always really encouraging and helpful. I would miss her visits, but I really feel taken for granted and second best. All my parents give me good feedback and have given lovely comments but just think pre school prepares children better for school, with no evidence.:(

blue bear
07-10-2012, 07:40 AM
I get paid monthly. Never had an issue with being paid, think I've been lucky.

new to all this
07-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Some areas make it extremely difficult to become accredited - Notts has recently changed the criteria ( used to need level4!) and tbh it has been incredibly straight forward and quick. Once again it seems its a postcode ( well , LA ) lottery.

Do you know what the criteria is for Notts now?

Lick'le Oakes
07-10-2012, 07:52 AM
I became accredited to help one family out as they were determined they didn't want a nursery. I stayed up 48 hours to finish my NVQ 3 so that my application could go to panel and I get accepted in time. Now the girl goes to nursery 3 mornings so I only get 6 hours funding through er. This term I thought I had a boy staying with me so when it was time to fill the forms in I included him. My La pay partly upfront and then the rest at the end of term. This is great but the boy is now in nursery as they offered him am extra morning for free and I have to pay the money back. I think by three some children do benefit from nursery settings so yes I wished I hadn't done it .

Monkey26
07-10-2012, 07:57 AM
We have to forecast our numbers at end of each term for the next term and then during the holidays we get 70% paid, the rest is then paid once we have returned our headcount form (second week of new term usually).
I went through accreditation in 2011, before Devon changed their portfolio application, yes it was time consuming but I had pretty much everything in place already so just had to reword a few bits to appease them and set it out in a portfolio style :thumbsup:
Extra visits don't bother me, if anything they help me keep on top of my paperwork, have never had an unannounced as they know us childminders are busy folk and probably wouldn't be in anyways haha.
My LA pay a whole pound an hour less than I charge but so far it has kept me four mindees so...!! Plus i get offered additional training as an accredited minder Xx

Lick'le Oakes
07-10-2012, 08:08 AM
That sounds great Monkey 26 at least it has benefitted you then. I also don't mind the visits, quite enjoy them really as it helps to kepp upto date etc, I have had one unannounced but that was fine again I don't mind that. I think my disappointment has been with the parents and not the actual La if I think about it. There are so many nurseries around here that the competition is high.

lozzy23
07-10-2012, 11:52 AM
I get paid monthly. Never had an issue with being paid, think I've been lucky.

I also get paid monthly, always been paid on time.

I have two funded children at the moment, both go to pre-school for 9 hours a week and the other 6 hours are funded with me. I will have a full time LO become funded after Easter and mum has already expressed that she does not want him to go to pre-school, so I will claim the full 15 hours.

gegele
07-10-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm starting the process and to be honest the form filling is quite off putting at first but i have faith LOL

i mainly do it because i have part timer and mum goes on mat leave and it would be better for parents to be able to leave lo with me 15h over 2 days than running around 5times a week especially as lo might no get in in january.

BUT i'm all for children starting pre school to be with lo thier own age and getting thme used to bigger group, access some resources that i haven't got and getting use to the school setting, making new friends to start big boy/girl school with the year after. And I think older sibling need their own time appart from each other and it gives mum better bonding time with new lo...

so basically i'm going to only provide funding for 8months but i think it helps everyone: i keep mindee during mat leave, mum gets 2 days a week for baby and get organised, lo gets 2 days out not governed by new baby's needs... win win win

the rest i'll deal with

just have to conquer the first mountain of paperwork!!!
:thumbsup:

and I have a 2vacancies thursdays and friday, had them for the last 3yrs and i hope that the possibility of funding could get me a bit of work, may it be 8months!:thumbsup: