PDA

View Full Version : working with schools??

adele1985
04-10-2012, 08:39 AM
just woundering how everyone els does this

ihave made a document up which all parents and teachers have signd agreeing to work in partnership but apart from the usual daily hand over how the child has been ect i get no other feed back

i send the childs development file in every 3 months or so for the teachers to look at and sign which they do but thats all that happens

TooEarlyForGin?
04-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Do you mean preschools or primary schools? Since the new EYFS has been brought in childminders are no longer expected to deliver the full EYFS to school age children.

With nurseries and preschools I try and meet termly just have a chat about the child and swap learning journeys. I will give them my newsletter and any planning that I'm doing if required. Unless there is an issue with a particular child I don't do much more than that.

Unfortunately I have found unless I make the effort with the schools or nurseries I get very little feedback.

But at least I try

singingcactus
04-10-2012, 01:21 PM
I just chat with parents and schools, and exchange pertinent information as needed. I don't feel it is about having forms signed, or sending in my paperwork, or receiving their paperwork. It's about sharing interests, and achievements and difficulties. So if a child shows an interest in something at my home, I will share that with the parents and also with the school setting at drop off and pick. If something happens at home I expect parents to let me know so I can continue it here, and the same goes for the schools.

Try not to force it, just work as though the child was yours and get the information you would want as a parents, and share the information you would share as a parent. It's not about having the school adopt your plans, or you working towards their lesson plans, it's just about knowing the little things so you can continue the work of others, but in your own way and vice versa. It's also about sharing the difficulties and asking how the staff or parent is working towards those goals, they might be doing something in a way that would work for you, or you might be doing something that would work for them. Just daily verbal dialogue really.

If the school say something that you can use, just wrote it into his/her sheets and note that the info came from school.

adele1985
04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Do you mean preschools or primary schools? Since the new EYFS has been brought in childminders are no longer expected to deliver the full EYFS to school age children.

With nurseries and preschools I try and meet termly just have a chat about the child and swap learning journeys. I will give them my newsletter and any planning that I'm doing if required. Unless there is an issue with a particular child I don't do much more than that.

Unfortunately I have found unless I make the effort with the schools or nurseries I get very little feedback.

But at least I try

I have 2 pre-schoolers one school is bril and los key worker meets me and gives me a hand over every time i collect - i dont really ask about anything else as s is only as and when care

the other school is useless - the problem is the head of the foundation stages as she dosent see childminders as equal to other providers - she actually told another childminder that all her childminder used to do when her children where there was put them infrount of the tv and do ironing and she suggested she do the same :rolleyes::eek: how are we soposed to work with teachers like this

i have approached her and she told me that shes not intrested in meeting and i will get what all other minders get which is the news letters

TooEarlyForGin?
04-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I would just make a note of each time you try to show you have made the effort. I'm sure everything will be okay