18-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Crossposted from another forum:-
This is more of a warning than a discussion point, although it does raise issues like - why was there no warning on the packaging?
This message came to us from Ali Taylor, Head of Welfare, Battersea DH.

Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family. Please tell every dog owner you know.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden.

Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mum woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can
suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

Also included was the following information -

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine". It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die.
Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Animal healer/Flower essences dowser/Animal Communicator - www.noahsarkessences.com (http://www.noahsarkessences.com/)
Check out our new essences for mother & child

18-06-2008, 03:03 PM
How awful.

Thanks for the warning

18-06-2008, 03:06 PM
OMG Thats a horrible thing to happen :panic:

Thanks for making us aware of this :thumbsup:

18-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Thank you - what a sad and unnecessary thing to happen.

18-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh my gosh,
Thats awfull ive never heard of the stuff but ill be sure to remember it from now on xx

18-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh i don't have dogs but my friens do - i'll be sure to let them know, Thanks for that :)

18-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh my god what an awful thing to happen.

To be honest, I don't think I would have this stuff in my garden anyway cos if it smells that good the kids would eat it too!

Thanks for the warning, I have a dog and lots of friends with dogs. I'll pass the message on. :thumbsup:

Jinx x

18-06-2008, 03:48 PM
oh no this is very upsetting :( poor thing but thanks for the warning thats one i will not be using x

18-06-2008, 07:29 PM
omg thats awful!!

foxy lady
18-06-2008, 07:41 PM
yes we had this problem with our dog
when my inlaws moved to there new house in september they had some in there garden but it was wood bark chippings with the same stuff in
we visit quite often with the dogs it took us untill april to find out why our dog was getting so ill.
we had at least 5 trips to the vets lots of blood test and loads of money later the vets did not have a clue.
an old lady who lives across the road from my inlaws informed us about this and the bark was removed, the dog has not been ill since.
there should be a warning about this and apparently it is very common in mulch and bark chippings,
i didnt no that dogs have died from it this is VERY scary we could have lost our dog and not had a clue

18-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I do know that choccie especially dark choccie can kill a dog. But I suppose something with cocoa extract would be the same.

18-06-2008, 08:01 PM
This is so sad, and an awful thing to happen, Thanks for the warning