PDA

View Full Version : Autistic Mindee

Chrysalis
03-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm about to take on an autistic child in school holidays, just wondering if anyone has any advice/tips and as a childminder does anyone know if there's any extra support/training I could look into. I have lots of knowledge of autism, just wondering if there's anything specifically for childminders?

Thanks in advance! x

silvermist
03-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Hiya, I was a TA before I became a childminder and spent eight years working with a child with Autism. I still provide respite for him now! Im a bit out of touch with new courses now but if lo has speech and language difficulties I can highly recommend the Elklan training. I used communicationforall website loads and the PECS system, you can google them. Hope that helps, it can be very rewarding if not alot of hard work eh! good luck xxx:):)

migimoo
04-10-2012, 07:11 AM
we covered autism when I did a free community inclusion course(emergency care for social care)...ask your development team if they offer this

vals
04-10-2012, 07:53 PM
I asked my nertwork corordinator this same question the other day. she said a lot of childminders ask for course on Autism so she will try and get one arranged.

Paulab
04-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Watching this thread with interest I've just had a lo start with speech delay autism,

Things are going well, he is very sweet, repeats alot, very Independant, :-) x