PDA

View Full Version : VOUCHERS AND GOVERNMENT FUNDING QUERY

silvermist
03-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Hi,Im a bit embarrassed I dont know the answer to this but :blush:... One of my los parents has asked if they can continue to use me and pay for childcare using the government funding and or employees voucher schemes. I really havent a clue where to go with this. Do I need to complete a specific NVQ in order for them to do this. I have NVQs but not in early years. Any help gratefully received, thanks xxx

The Juggler
03-10-2012, 09:35 PM
if she is referring to child tax credits or vouchers from her employer then your only restriction is that you are registered.

if she means the nursery education grant (15 hours a week of funding) no she can't use this with you unless you are part of an LA approved network (which usually requires a level 3).

I would check what she means hon :)

silvermist
03-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks for replying, She was talking about the vouchers from her husbands employer and then when lo is older the 15 hours funding.

So is there an age when they can use the employer voucher scheme, their ds is now 13 mths old. Sorry for being so dim lol x

The Juggler
03-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for replying, She was talking about the vouchers from her husbands employer and then when lo is older the 15 hours funding.

So is there an age when they can use the employer voucher scheme, their ds is now 13 mths old. Sorry for being so dim lol x

no employer voucher scheme is from when parents return to work - no age limit. the funded hours -you would need to be an accredited minder in a network. Sounds like it's a way off though ;)

silvermist
03-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Great, so I will have time to complete a relevant course then? Where do I find out about that? Should I speak to my DO? x

The Juggler
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Great, so I will have time to complete a relevant course then? Where do I find out about that? Should I speak to my DO? x

its quite a bit of work to become accredited. I wouldn't do it now as what if this family are not still with you? Go for the Level 3 though if you can (some LA's are still offering funding) as this will benefit YOU if you want to do something else in future and is good training anyway. I would contact your DO about it hon.

silvermist
04-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Thank you so much for your help. I'll look into the level 3. :thumbsup:

BuggsieMoo
04-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi you cannot become accrediated without a level 3 so that is your first port of call.

Once you have your level 3, contact your local council early years team and make enquiries into the Accreditation as its quite a long process, you will need to look into it before you need it IYSWIM. You can also enquire about the funded places for lower income families for 2 year olds also - this can be sorted whilst also going through the accreditation process.

Good luck.

BuggsieMoo x

silvermist
04-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Brilliant, thanks for your advice. xx

LittleLadybirds
04-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Hiya,
you no longer need to be part of an accredited network. We had a VERY long meeting about it last night!!

Each LA will set their own criteria on who can offer the funded places for 2,3 and 4 year olds, so you will need to check with your own area as to if you will be eligible, or what you need to do.

My LA has a plan in place, and they are hoping to get the ball rolling with it over the next 2 weeks, but it could still be 8 months before childminders can offer the funded places :( They need to get a wriggle on!! BTW, there was no mention of needing to be L3 qualified, but for ours we will need to show commitment to continuous improvement and attend training etc, as that forms some of the criteria.

Hope that helps!

The Juggler
04-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Hiya,
you no longer need to be part of an accredited network. We had a VERY long meeting about it last night!!

Each LA will set their own criteria on who can offer the funded places for 2,3 and 4 year olds, so you will need to check with your own area as to if you will be eligible, or what you need to do.

My LA has a plan in place, and they are hoping to get the ball rolling with it over the next 2 weeks, but it could still be 8 months before childminders can offer the funded places :( They need to get a wriggle on!! BTW, there was no mention of needing to be L3 qualified, but for ours we will need to show commitment to continuous improvement and attend training etc, as that forms some of the criteria.

Hope that helps!

you are probably right however, whatever the new "system" looks like will probably mean that you are one a select bunch, with a certain grading and with a fair bit of additional paperwork and hoops to jump through to become accredited which in reality probably won't look that different to a network (maybe minus the network meetings :laughing:)

I agree the onus on CPD is probably far more important than Level 3 as long as a minder has plenty of experience with children already :)

silvermist
04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I was a TA for 11 years! Thats quite a bit of experience! We shall see. xx